Monday, January 21, 2013

Glossybox Review

This is my last review for tonight. Tomorrow might bring more varied posts of the artsy fartsy quality but tonight is all about these quite addictive boxes. I currently live for them. Well, not really but mostly yes because I. AM. BORED.

Glossybox

Glossybox is yet another monthly makeup subscription box. However, this box is a bit controversial and I'll get to that a little later in this post but first the specs (so to speak):

Link: GLOSSYBOX

Price:

$21.00/month with the chance to save enough 'glossydots' (earned through surveys on the monthly products received) as well as references to get a free box. The free box is worth 1000 glossydots. Apparently, a lot of people have had trouble applying their points because they don't find the apply button anywhere on their account pages but I haven't had that issue personally as theres a square pink APPLY button next to my current glossydot balance.

Description:

Monthly sub box. The difference from, for example, birchbox, is that you do tend to get full size makeup every month. The brands vary from well known American brands to well known European brands to little known international brands but (personally I have to add because I know many people have different experiences) everything I've received, I've enjoyed. I've gotten products from Illamasqua, a brand I'd never considered until trying their products as well as Kryolan, another brand apparently well known to makeup artists and such.

Pros:

A monthly surprise (a evidenced by my previous post, I love monthly surprises except, of course, that of the period variety).

Full size makeup and large samples. No foil packets only.

You have the option of buying gift boxes every month for $15 (you have to be an active subscriber so, to avoid confusion, you have to pay your $21 monthly box to be able to purchase the $15 gift boxes). The gift box concept is great if you have a friend or even your mother's birthday coming up but besides this month's man repeller box where all of the products have been leaked, I don't know if I'd take the chance I did this month by getting two extra boxes. I hope I don't get too many dupes but I can't deny I'm super excited.

This month, Glossybox is doing a collaboration with the Man Repeller and the listed products include a full size OPI nail polish, a full size Tarte lipstick or Vincent Longo lipstain as well as deluxe samples of Fresh serum and one of two hair products (Living Proof or Sebastian Potion 9). To say I'm excited is too little, I'm obsessively waiting for this box (wel really boxes, as I've ordered more than one) especially since there is a golden ticket in 2 boxes for $1000.00 at Shopbob, an amount that I could easily spend. The following tiny tiny image should give a small idea of  how Glossybox is advertising this special box (note the silver box, instead of the typical pink)


Cons:

Billing dates aren't concrete, they tend to bill at the beginning of the month. This month was the 7th, I believe.

Shipping dates are also quite ummm variable. January's boxes were apparently supposed to ship between the 15th-19th of this month but now the facebook page is reporting that shipping will begin next week. Thus, I'm guessing a lot of girls will be getting their January boxes in February.

Apparently their customer service is nothing to be happy about. Many people have complained of getting no responses to emails and never being able to get anyone on the phone despite repeatedly calling. In my personal experience, I only have good things to say about Glossybox CS, they've answered my queries relatively quickly and even gave me a free box in December after there was some confusion about my billing. However, this is only my experience and stories abound about their CS snafus.

It seems that Glossybox Canada engaged in buying third party products (a big no no!) and also sending expired products to their Canadian consumers. To my limited understanding, Glossybox works like a franchise where different companies manage it in different countries (someone correct me where I'm wrong) and fortunately, these sorts of things have NOT happened in the US. If they did. I'd change my tune immediately,

My Take:

Despite some strong controversy surrounding Glossybox, I'm currently in love with the sub. The full size products are great surprises and this month's collaboration is very exciting. If they fix their CS issues and never EVER do what happened in their Canadian 'branch', then I will continue as a happy subscriber. I hope so since I purchased 3 boxes this month. Eeeek!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment