Friday, March 1, 2013

Glossybox Feb Box Review (get your Pitchforks Ready)!!

With the amount of hate it's getting, Glossybox is kind of the Anne Hathaway of the sub box world right now. They didn't really do anything wrong with February's box and I actually got it IN February plus the items aren't even close mind-blowing like January's unprecedented super awesome box but they're passable.

A big point of contention has been Missha's snail juice (yes, really) facial mask. Apparently, the juice/slime what have you, is seemingly forcibly extracted from said Snails instead of organically collected. I am a 100% animal rights supporter and wouldn't personally use the mask precisely because of these allegations but I wouldn't write off the whole box because of it. I'm also very lucky in the fact that I didn't personally receive it (I got the evologie blemish creme samples) and so, my dislike might be reduced by the fact that it wasn't sent to me.

Since, everyone's box tends to vary, I'm going to list out my samples (ugh, I forgot to mention that my glossybox mag and 'nail rock' nail wraps were missing but my email was very promptly responded to and I was promised the missing items would be sent to me as soon as they could) but no pics because I didn't get all of the samples and don't want the image to be taken as a full on box.

Furthermore, the theme of this month's box was International Style and I'm guessing this should be reflected in the items included in the box.



On to the individual item review:

Bulgari Eau Parfumée Au Thé Blanc Soap:

What is it with the frickin soap and these boxes? Why are you guys so intent on sending soap? Soap isn't a luxury, it's an essential. Thus, I always buy soap and yes I buy luxury soaps but I don't need them in my subs, I want makeup or hair or skin related things, not SOAP!!!!!!!! Despite my hate, the smell is ok I guess and they'll be great to pack for a trip. 7/10

Full Size $30 (we got a seeming sample size but I'm not sure how many bars or sizes of bars make up a full size so I'll restrain myself from trying to calculate an approximate value)

Da Vinci Cosmetics Shimmer Powder: 

Touted as a "shimmering mineral powder", this shimmer powder seems, I don't know, almost useless. It doesn't seem to really serve a purpose and honestly, the packaging and heretofore unknown brand make it seem like a cheap addition to an already less than stellar box. I got my powder in 'Earth' and I have no idea if I'll be using it or not but I'm going to be completely honest and say it isn't my favorite thing in the box. 4/10

Full size $15 (Apparently, the one we got is a full size)

Evologie eSystem Duo Pack Intensive Blemish Serum & Stay Clear Cream:

The sample size for this item (2 small tubes) is pretty small but the types of serum & cream are pretty interesting to me since I still suffer from pretty badass blemishes. Honestly though, the sample seems on the cheap side. 7/10

Full size $15

Lisi Liquid Line Eyeliner: 

So, this item is listed in my box list but I actually got a Lisi Color Glaze Lip Gloss in '2 Timer', a kind of rose gold shade. I'm kind of glad, I didn't get the eyeliner since I don't typically wear eyeliner and already have so many that I haven't even used but I have to be honest that this brand is another unknown and the listed prices make it look, pardon my words, cheap as hell. This looks like stuff you buy at a bargain bin in an off-brand beauty supply store! I'm not happy but the gloss is OK so I'll try to keep an open mind. Though, I do understand why so many peeps are underwhelmed this month. 5/10

Full Size (eyeliner) $7.00

Nail Rock Nail Wraps:

Unfortunately, this particular item was missing from my box. However, I've had the pleasure to buy these before and unlike a lot of people, I actually really like them. I don't tend to do nail art on myself (I don't even own a striping brush which is like the most basic of tools) and these stick on nail wraps (not nails! just foils that you file down to your nail making it seem like you have a cool design on them) are pretty great. I'd never ever wear stick-on nails but I'm definitely a happy nail rock customer. I emailed gb as soon as I noticed that these weren't included and promptly received an email stating that they'll be sent to me which is awesome since I really REALLY love these :D Basically, the only item that I love wasn't even in the box but future me will give these a 10/10.

Full Size $8.00

Overall: 

Seriously not the best box or even close. I love the nail rock and like the bulgari soap but these items are the only things that save this box from being a total bust. The Da Vinci Cosmetics, Lisi, and Evologie items are things that I don't need or really like as well as being from completely unknown (to me) brands that honestly don't seem that great. If future boxes tend to lean towards these types of brands (or heaven forbid, go the way of GB Canada), then I'll be forced to cancel. One of the major reasons that I'm not super mad is because, thanks to points, I got this box for free. If I'd had to pay $21 for the pleasure of stuff I don't actually feel is even worth the $21 I paid (I'd only buy the nail wraps and they're $8 at Ulta), then I'd possibly be off the rails mega pissed. That said, I've really loved all of my previous boxes, so here's hoping that this month is a minor slip-up but I can see how it's a huge letdown to all of the people that subbed last month with the incredibly awesome man repeller box.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment