Thursday, March 14, 2013

Birchbox March Box Review

This month, I've been lucky enough to get a couple of boxes a lot earlier than I'm accustomed to. Usually, my birchbox isn't even shipped by the 12th much less delivered (seriously, last month I got my mix-up box around the 25th) so imagine my surprise when I got the 'your box has been shipped' email on the 8th and actually received my box on the 12th! I was so surprised and after opening the box, I was very pleasantly surprised (especially in comparison to last month's nipple lip balm aka ewwwwwww I can't even write it without feeling queasy!). I hope I get April's box this early and I hope I continue getting things I actually enjoy like this month. After reviews, I have 97 points which means that I'm 3 points away from the $10 discount! I'm going to take it slow (seriously, I have spent every ten dollar discount as soon as it becomes available) and try to build up to maybe $30 or $40 dollars so I can go crazy in the birchbox store. I really, really hope I have the willpower to actually stay on track and do it!

My March Birchbox 
I have to admit that at first look, the assortment looks sort of lackluster but I can use everything and actually want to use everything included so I'm quite happy with this month.

On to the item by item review:

Whish Shave Crave Shaving Cream

This is no joke, as soon as I opened the cap and smelled this shaving cream, I knew I'd buy a full size. It smells SOOOOO good. Seriously. I'd been wondering which new shaving cream to try for my dry legs and now I have this. I'm very glad this magnificent smelling shaving cream came into my life (that sounds kind of creepy like I'm in love with it but I think you can understand what I'm getting at) and now I'm all about Whish.

Madewell for Birchbox Nail Emery Board

I really enjoy shopping at Madewell and I have a hard time with prints and especially flower prints but this emery board is a very cute addition to my springtime nail routine and it is one of the few flower printed things I don't hate. Plus, this alone is worth $5 so I know I got a good deal with this box ;) and I just received an offer from Madewell and Birchbox for $25 off of a $75+ purchase which I will try my hardest to take advantage of.

Make Face Primer SPF 30

Both the MAKE products come in a little white plastic bag emblazoned (well, more like printed but emblazoned sounds so much fancier loll) with 'make' in black letters. It is a relatively tiny sample but hopefully it's enough to let me see how much I like/ hate this particular primer. I'm still (still!) looking for a good primer (my skin seriously gets to oily and too dry at the same time and many primers either make me break out/get oil slick face OR dry up my face to sahara like conditions). I haven't tried it yet so I can't truthfully review it but points for the packaging because I like it.

Make Satin Finish Eyeshadow

This is something I loved getting. I don't think I've ever gotten a teeny little mini eyeshadow from birchbox before. The best part is that it is encased in a mini version of an eyeshadow compact and it's hard and durable not cheap and breakable and no cardboard is involved. Best of all, it's not a dreaded eyeshadow card (like the completely useless Stila card that was sent out months ago and that couldn't even be used for one full coverage application on both eyes making it effectively useless and worthless). I was sent Purple Sage, a darkish purple that I'll be applying as eyeliner because I love purple eyeliner. This sample is definitely in the plus column this month.

Nick Chavez Beverly Hills Color-Saver Sulfate Free Shampoo

While I get kinda pissed that we get shampoo samples without the accompanying conditioner, I do love to try out new shampoos. I currently have about 7 or 8 in the shower that I rotate depending on how my hair is acting that day. I've never tried any Nick Chavez (I'm assuming he's a famous hairstylist?) branded products but I'm down to try this. A very positive note is that the sample is relatively large, no tiny tube or much despised foil packet. I'll be adding this shampoo to the roster and maybe just maybe it might make it on to first or second string. We'll see ;)


Overall:

I really like this box. I plan to use everything included and I'm elated about the lack of crappy foil packets and skin products or perfume samples. I feel like birchbox really stepped it up this month and I definitely feel like what I got was worth the $10 I paid. I feel lucky to have gotten and enjoyed my birchbox and my popsugar must have so early this month (in comparison to previous months because I know some of you get the boxes super early and might even consider getting the box on the 12th late) and I'm very much looking forward to next month. This sub will continue on first string for the foreseeable future.

9/10 (the 10/10 is reserved for absolute me screeching and jumping up and down perfection and/or a full size product that is not only full size but awesome)

Deets: 

Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$10/month
Perks:
Earn 10 points for each review of samples you receive and these add up to $10/100points with no limit. 
Recommend
Yes. There have been some off months and the foil packets can get VERY annoying but the brands sampled are great and they do sometimes send out full size products (full size, not deluxe sample size) plus the discounts are great.

2 comments:

  1. We got the same box this month :). I just posted the review of my March Birchbox on my blog too. It is the best Birchbox I've ever received!

    - KW
    http://musthaveboxes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!!! I love it! Sorry I took so long to respond. I had no internet for a week! I'm definitely checking out your review asap xx

      Delete