Saturday, March 2, 2013

Julep March Box Review

Unlike the many weeks of waiting I suffer through whilst waiting for my (sometimes incorrectly tagged) Birchbox, my Julep Maven box is almost always the quickest to arrive. Seriously, I usually get my items from Julep about 2 days after I order them (and with free shipping to boot!). I wasn't really expecting this box today as I actually haven't gotten a shipping email so it was all the bigger of a surprise. 

In a previous post I sort-of bitched about the March selections and lo and behold, after opening my box today, I realized that the colors are fantastic!!!! Plus, as is now the custom, a special little extra gift was included!!

Saturday Surprise!
As I didn't order any add-ons this month (and I'm strangely proud of myself for not succumbing to that pleasure lol), I only got the one box (the 'It Girl'). This box includes: 3 colors ('Shenae', 'Teri', and 'Simone') and a Julep Strawberry Mint Lip Balm.

The little extra that Julep has become so good at.

So, now we go get to the good stuff, the individual item reviews:

Left to Right: Simone, Shenae, Teri 


Simone

Great texture, very on-trend pastel color (which is the theme of this month's box). Simone is billed as a 'soft pastel lilac opalescent shimmer' and I was worried that this would translate into a very sheer color but it doesn't. It has full coverage (with 2 coats) and a perfect easter egg-y purple color that'll be great for my "spring rainbow" nail theme ;) Only qualm: it is very VERY similar to Julep's  own 'Renee' (which I also own). 9/10 

Shenae

Side note (aka nothing to do with the actual color review), I'm pretty sure this color is named after the actress on 90210 (newer version, not Brenda, Brandon, Dylan version) which incidentally was just cancelled after 5 seasons (seriously, that show got weird as fuck). Ok, on to the color: it's a minty green! Official description: pastel mint green opalescent shimmer. I was worried that it would look exactly like Butter London's 'Fiver' and I think I was... right (except for the added shimmer that 'Fiver' doesn't have). BUT I am so very into this color this season, so having two like colors isn't a huge deal to me. It's incredibly on trend and the formula is consistent with Julep's other colors. I love it. 10/10 

Teri

'Teri' is described as a 'tropical coral pink creme' and I'm excited about trying it on. I haven't really been into girly pinkish colors but lately, I'm all about the coral lip plus I even bought a coral colored dress for my cousin's upcoming nuptials. That said, it does bear a resemblance to other previous Julep colors but it is a brighter and maybe more saturated coral than Butter London's 'Kerfuffle' (the next color on my to-buy list) and I also... love it ;) 10/10 

Julep Strawberry-Mint Lip Balm:

This month's special little extra is a strawberry mint lip balm that smells as good as it sounds. It's a clear pink in the tube and super sheer so it isn't like Fresh's Sugar Lip Treatments that deposits strong build-able amounts of color (and these are yet another obsession of mine, I purchased the new 'Petal' color a couple of days ago at Sephora) but it's a great little extra that will definitely go in my purse for any chapped lips moments (they happen more often that you'd think!) Plus, I'm definitely surprised because I expected something like a candy. Lip balm is always welcome. 10/10 


Overall:

March's box was surprisingly awesome. I'm a complete Julep devotee and this month has only strengthened my current love for this sub. I find it hard to skip a month and, so far, I haven't found a reason to do so. I'm definitely satisfied with this box to the point of actual happiness (very very hard to achieve lol) 10/10 


Box
Frequency:
Monthly/skippable
Price:
19.99 (add-ons and upgrades start at 4.99)
Perks:
2000 Jules earn a free box, earn 300 jules with every month purchased. 
Recommended?:
100% if you love nail polish. 





No comments:

Post a Comment