Friday, March 1, 2013

Starlooks!

I WON A BOX!!!!!!!!! Since, before this special event, I'd scarcely or well really never won anything, it's safe to say that I'm super beyond excited! I entered a contest on MakeupTalk and then totally forgot about it. I'd never won anything and thought I wouldn't any time soon but then a couple of weeks ago, I got an email saying I'd won a box!! Today, said box was delivered (and very quickly, I might add) and after my celebratory prance and dance, I got down to business: testing and swatching the colors ;)

Starlooks is a smaller company based on the west coast and they're a monthly subscription box. Their individual take on the eponymous sub box is that the Starlooks Starbox is first and foremost a makeup box and the items included (at least in my box [the February box]) are full sized and branded by the company. So, you won't get the surprise of a Dior mascara sample or a YSL lip sample (oh god I love both of those brands) but you will get full sized makeup items. However, there is apparently no profile and the items are picked out to fit a range of different skin tones. While I applaud their intention, I do have to say that that seems pretty hard. After swatching my Disney/Sephora Storylooks Vol.2 eyeshadow box (yes! I bought as soon as it came out and there is a post on it coming!), I realized that a lot of the colors seemed to look better on olive and darker skinned ladies. Since my skin is lighter, some of the shades look weird on my coloring and that makes me unsure of whether Starlooks can really maintain a one for all box.

As I've mentioned, I got the February 'Lauren Clark' Special Edition curated box and it is pretty great for such a small package. On to the reviews:

Princess Diaries Eye Liner:

This particular pot of shimmery light pink eyeliner/cream shadow/ shadow base looks incredibly, well, pink, when you first look at it but the possibilities are great. I'm considering doing a pink based eye tomorrow (hopefully, I don't make myself look sick as I did with a fuchsia makeupforever shadow years ago) and I love the cream consistency. I'm a huge fan of Benefit's Creaseless cream shadows so they'll be my base for comparison. Overall, I'm really excited to try it and the name is awesome as it shares the name of one of my favorite movies when I was 15.  10/10

Barbie Fluid Blush: 

Super bright pink fluid blush. I love it. I've slowly been getting into blush and usually wear Nars' 'Orgasm' shade but I love the idea of a cream blush and it's blend-ability. A definite good surprise ;D 10/10

Pink Oasis Lip Gloss: 

This gloss is apparently a light pink and almost lilac shade but in the tube, it looks purple! Fortunately, when I tried it on, it didn't. It's a good color for adding a little bit of extra shine at the center of the lips and it'll definitely be in spring-time rotation. 9/10

Tipsy Lip Pencil:

This lip pencil came in my box but isn't listed in the item description card so I guess either someone made a tiny (but great) mistake or this was meant as an awesome little extra. Either way, the color is gorgeous and really sealed the deal on my loving this box. I'm a lip color fiend and any pink colored addition to my collection is welcomed with a party at the very least! 11/10

Overall:

Though I didn't expect to, I loved this box. Winning it for free wasn't bad at all (understatement alert!) but I was very pleasantly surprised when I actually opened the box and saw what was inside. After the lack of items I personally like in a couple of the boxes I received this week, this box was a great little addition to my collection and I'm very seriously considering becoming a monthly subscriber. The February box is great so 10/10!


Box:  Starlooks

Price/Frequency: $15/month

Shipping fees/taxes: Apparently there is an additional 1.98 shipping fee which is apparently in accordance with USPS prices. Regarding taxes, I'm not completely sure but I'd guess that California residents will have to get stuck with having to shell out that extra 8.75% (ugh so high!)

Perks? There is a point system that seems pretty similar to Birchbox, you get a $10 discount for every 100 points you happen to get together. 

Recommend? From this box, I have to say I would. I'm really liking everything that was included but I think I'd have to see other previous boxes to make an informed decision. ;)

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment