Thursday, March 14, 2013

Lip Factory March Box Review

Due to my being forced to move very soon and my doubts regarding the quality of the products sent out by Lip Factory, I went ahead and cancelled my subscription. However, I was lucky enough to get one box and now I have to say it isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Nevertheless, the brands are pretty much unknowns and/or drugstore types as well as one (edit: 3) clearly discontinued color. Yet, I love that I got that many lip products and I really would consider subbing again, especially to their all lip box (apparently only every 4 months). Shipping wise, it was incredibly quick. I was notified of the box being sent on the 12th and I got it on the 14th! Incredible considering it came all the way from Florida to California. As a basis for comparison, popsugar's must have comes to me from the same state and takes waaaaay longer (usually around 8-10 days). So, Lip Factory does score points for shipping quality and customer service (my cancellation was handled quickly and effectiently) but loses points for sending out brands that are (in my personal opinion) less than the very best.

Lip Factory's March Box

A good point brought up to me today was that this sub is perfect for a girl who can't afford to go to Sephora all of the time and/or spend hundreds of dollars on beauty products every month. Why? Because this box does have some great colors and a lot of them. So, I have to say there is nothing inherently wrong with the box and depending on your sensibilities, this could be a good choice for a sub. I do feel bad for writing it off so quickly but I will consider coming back for the next all lip product box (I think that they would benefit so much from a 'skip a month' option like Julep does).

Now, on to the item by item review: 

NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil in Deep Red (709)

I filled out the beauty profile and it seems they actually listen at this sub because I got all pinks and reds (colors that I LOVE!). This NYX lip pencil is described as a burgundy red creme on the NYX website and it wears relatively well. I know that it's retail price is incredibly low but I don't mind getting this (this time, if I got this in another sub, I'm not sure I'd be so forgiving).

Retail: $4.50


Designer Skin Lip Shimmer in Perfectly Perfect 

Touted as a light pink with a pearlescent sheen and a minty taste to boot, this seeming stila lip gloss dupe is cute enough. I like pink and I can't write it off before giving it a try. This brand was previously unknown to me (along with most of the brands in the box with 2 or 3 exceptions) but I'm going to be positive and high hopes abound. Plus, after doing some research, I see that there's no testing on animals and they positively '"love their furry friends" so this a HUGE plus for me.

Retail: $9.99 (according to amazon)


Be a Bombshell Lip Gloss in Kiss Off 

Well, apparently this brand/gloss was previously sent out in myglam/ipsy boxes last year (?) (I haven't subbed and am actually on the ipsy wait-list right now). My gloss is a very bright pink with a seeming purplish sheen. Definitely an interesting color and it'll be fun to figure out just how I can make it work. This is another brand that I've never heard of but, again, I'm going to give it a chance.

Retail: $14.00 (approx)


LaSplash Lip Lacquer in Forbidden (14092)

A reddish pink. I've been searching for details on it everywhere and from what I've seen (different packaging, can't find the exact name), this color is almost certainly discontinued. I have super sensitive skin so I'll definitely do a patch test before trying it on my lips. I do have to say that this is why I'd rather not deal with discontinued products.

Retail: $0.00 *Discontinued*


Dermalogica Renewal Lip Complex Sample

This is a silver foil packet and the definition of a tiny sample. It'll definitely go into my random sample box where one day it may be called upon to alleviate boredom. Who knows when that day will be ;)

Retail: $0.00 *Sample* (I won't divide by the full size because samples can't be sold/re-sold thus free)


Korres Lip Gloss in Raspberry (28)

After a simple google search, it came to my attention that the lip gloss that I received was unboxed and had no seal. I might be taking a HUGE chance by trying it on so I'll probably end up trashing it. I hadn't realized this when I started the review but this is clearly a NEGATIVE. Apparently this Korres lip gloss is discontinued in the US and I was sent a gloss without any sort of seal or box that seems to be half empty. Not cool. Hopefully this is an oversight by the company and I'll be contacting them immediately. I'll post their response.

Retail: $0.00 *Discontinued, unpackaged, and apparently used*


OFRA Cosmetics Lipstick in Berry Sexy

While the OFRA cosmetics page shows a light pink, my 'berry sexy' is a very deep almost plum color. It isn't too bad and I'll definitely mix it to create a lighter color. OFRA is yet another brand I've never tried so my opinion is, as of now, is unformed.

Retail: $13.00
Extras:

Lip Factory Inc Lip Brush

A great full size lip brush. I've been in the market for one of these for a while so I really appreciate this addition.

Senna Cosmetics Lip Gloss Sample in Siren 

A cute mini gloss in a pinky coral color and is officially described as metallic golden peach. It's a mini size and on sale at the brand site in the last chance section for $1.00.


A closer look 


Overall:

This box has a quality vs quantity situation. There's a great quantity but the fact that most colors are discontinued or from relatively low priced brands really diminishes the quality aspect. I'm especially unhappy with the unpackaged Korres but I won't pass judgement until I get a response from the company. Again, whether to subscribe to this box is a matter of personal preference. Lip Factory does offer quick shipping, a large quantity of products, and they seem great at picking the right colors but, on the other hand, the sub is relatively pricey at $22/month and does include low cost, discontinued, and unknown brands. If you're just trying to get some new colors for your collection, then this might be for you. If you love discovering new things to buy or like mainstream brands, then this might not be the best choice. For this particular sub, you have to weigh the pros and cons. For me, this time the cons won out.

Details

Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$22/month
Perks
There is a reference number provided to give out for referrals, I assume this gives you discounts. 
Recommend?
It depends on what you want. If you want lots of product and colors but don't mind discontinued or no-name brand merchandise, then yes. If you want to discover new brands colors to buy in the future and/or mainstream (aka sold at sephora or similar stores) labels, then I'd lean towards no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment