Monday, April 22, 2013

Julep Sea Salt Mystery Box

This morning, I received my Julep Sea Salt Mystery Box! Unfortunately I didn't get the Sea Salt color I wanted (the black lava one) but such is life. According to the packing slip, I received 'version 9' and I'm guessing this is because I ordered it super late (like the last day it was for sale late). However, I'm not mad (not too happy either!!!) and I'm already looking forward to my badass May Julep upgrade (all of the items, every last one!!!) so I'm not heartbroken though I'm a bit miffed because I got stuff that I'd already gotten before (everything besides the most of the colors is a dupe!) but, again, such is life.

With flash. Clockwise: Nail File, Maria, Madeline, Leila, Dendrie, Hand Brightener, Toe Separators 

W/o flash. Same as above. 

On to the item by item review:

I'm going to start with the colors because duh that's why we buy these things in the first place ;)

Julep Nail Lacquer in Maria

According to official description, it is a 'shimmering platinum rose' and labeled as a frost finish. At first sight, I thought it looked quite purple-y but it does have a distinct rose coloring. I'm not in love with it but it is a very pretty color. I'm happy w/ this one. 7/10


Julep Nail Lacquer in Madeline (Sea Salt Finish)

This one is the draw of the whole box. The promised land, if you will. Thus the title. There were 3 sea salt finishes being sent out and I got Madeline. I'm not super thrilled since I really REALLY wanted the black one but I'm happy enough. Happy enough to make it today's color. It isn't officially out yet apparently but I can tell you it's a very cute shell pink (almost like the lighter part of a conch shell) with a matte finish. I like this much more than the similar Liquid Sand collection by OPI (I hate their bottles with a passion!!) 19/10

Julep Nail Lacquer in Leila

Leila is touted as a 'lemon yellow opalescent shimmer' and it looks it. I'm into pastels (it's part of the 'pretty in pastel' set as well as the 'boho glam' starter box) currently so this is a welcome addition. It isn't groundbreaking but a good solid color to have in the set. 7/10


Julep Nail Lacquer in Dendrie

Ok, so when I saw the name of this color, I immediately asked myself why Julep would name a color 'Dendrite' (see the connection? Lolll puns!) but with the missing 'T', the name is actually 'Dendrie' which I've never heard before but must exist or it wouldn't be the namesake for this 'dove grey creme'. It's a full coverage grey of which I have an extensive collection now thanks to many a sub box and it seems like this is a 'vintage' color as it doesn't have the swatch sticker or even the exact same packaging on the bottle. But, BUT. I'm ok with it. I'm zen. 7/10

Julep  Age Defying Hand Brightener, Nail File, and toe separators.

These are the other items included in the box. The hand cream is full size and apparently works to fade age spots and fine lines (cool because I'm not sure I want to get old hands) and the toe separators separate toes. The nail file is negligible because I already have like 3 of the same type. :(/10


Overall:

The colors are cute but the extras sort of suck if you've already bought these mystery boxes many a time before. I might've gotten stuck with the poopy selection because I got my box so late but that doesn't mean I didn't expect the best from what Julep has to offer. I have to say this is a rare misstep from a company I love. Overall grade: C+


Box:
Price: 
24.99 for the mystery box, 19.99 for the subscription.
Frequency: 
Mystery boxes are sold at Julep's discretion (so whenever they feel like it) and the sub is monthly. 
Perks: 
Mystery boxes have a minimum of $70 value inside with a max of $200. Sometimes prizes are added. 
Recommend? 
Well, this one was not the best but others have been pretty great. Try one the next time they're offered and see if you like what they send. It's still a pretty good deal when you remember that the nail colors retail for $14.00 at sephora.




No comments:

Post a Comment