Saturday, April 20, 2013

Ipsy April '13 'Glam Bag'

Today, I finally got my first Ipsy Glam Bag ! I was on the wait-list for the majority of March and got off of it just in time for the April edition. After many an issue (apparently they can't process Amex cards correctly for some reason), I got my first bag and it is.... interesting.

Ipsy is in the ~$10 category and actually is $10.00 per month (+ tax in certain states, including CA. Yay.) So I'm guessing their main competitor is the progenitor of such boxes, Birchbox. According to the comments on their respective facebook pages, ipsy is better because they send "more" and "full sizes" but they also send brands that I've never seen before. We all know that Birchbox sticks to the high-end sort of stuff and I very much appreciate that. I'm not overwhelmingly joyous at what I got in April's glam bag but it isn't bad and I won't be canceling my subscription just yet.

The beautiful sleeping pup in the background did NOT come with the bag!


On to the item by item review:

A note: since I'm bored, I decided to do individual item pics. I don't usually do it but it is fun sometimes.

Be a Bombshell Blush in Sweet Cheeks

Be a Bombshell Blush in 'Sweet Cheeks'

This blush is from 'Be a Bombshell' and to its credit, is full-size. I love pink blushes lately and it isn't to powdery and goes on sheer and a bit shimmery. I don't know much about the brand but it doesn't seem to bad. I'm happy with this item although I'm gathering quite the collection of blushes this season. 9/10


Sation Nail Color in 'Of Corset I'll Call You'
Sation Nail Lacquer for Ipsy in 'Of Corset I'll Call You'

Another nail polish!!! I keep getting nail colors!!! Why do all these subs keep sending me nail colors!!!! I got like 5 this month. Seriously. The pros: full size, pink, cute name, never tried the brand so a new brand to try. The cons: too many nail colors! 7/10


BigSexyHair Pow Powder Play
BigSexyHair Powder Play Sample

This is the sample I was most looking forward to but it is also the smallest. This texturizing and volumizing powder is a great little addition to my hair arsenal. I have many a hair product but more are always welcome. Especially anything for volume! Unfortunately, it is tiny. Like one-use tiny. 8/10


Mica Beauty Loose Shimmer in 'Earth'
Mica Beauty Loose Shimmer in 'Earth'

I'm confused because the actual item says shimmer but the ipsy website describes it as mineral shadow. All I know is that it is loose and light-brownish or tawny but sparkly enough. My skin (EXTREMELY sensitive) didn't react super positively to this shimmer powder and itchiness occurred. Of course, this only happened to me so I can't say that it'll happen to anyone else. My skin, however, tends to break out even with the fanciest brands so it isn't due to the fact that I've never seen this brand before. I might give this one away because of my skin reaction but the color is very versatile. 6/10

The Replacement Bag :( 
"Glam Bag" in flower print with a Green Zipper and plastic lining

The promised ipsy bag was super cute in comparison, a white bag with a hot pink zipper. This one is very much not cute. It might be to someone else's taste but I'm not a flower print kind of girl so this bag is a complete disappointment to me. Fortunately, according to the insert, the original bag will be added to my may order for free. Apparently, there was a quality control issue so these bags are replacements. I'm fine with that and I like that they'll be sending me the originally promised bag next month (so close! It's already April 20th!).  No score because it's a replacement.

Overall

This is my first Ipsy bag and it isn't the very best introduction but I do actually like everything even if I don't love it. So, I will definitely give Ipsy another chance next month. Hopefully, next month will be better and the bag will not be anything like the one I got this month. I'd give it a B- for this month but it really does have the potential to be a staple. We'll see.


Box:
Price:
$10 (+ tax in CA)
Frequency:
Monthly
Perks:
Ability to make 'looks' on the ipsy website, contests. 
Recommend?
For the price, I'd say yes. The brands aren't as high-end or mainstream as my beloved Birchbox but there are many full sizes included and they can help you discover more 'budget' brands. 






No comments:

Post a Comment