Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Julep Maven April Box Review

It took a while to get my box this month due to a very confusing situation with my credit card's mailing address after I moved. Seriously, all of my boxes have been super late because of it (and also the USPS who have lost my love of them since I used to have an awesome mailman while my new one is a douche that charges me postage for boxes that had been lost for weeks because somehow I owe THEM?!?!)

Anyways, due to all of the aforementioned, I finally, FINALLY got my April Julep Maven box today with both the regular box and the add-ons arriving at the same time. I'm pretty happy with no qualms but I don't know I'm in love or in like with the box. It might be me but I don't know...

On with the review:

My April Box on arrival 


April Box colors left to right: Eden, Abbie, Mackenzie, Rock Candy Nail Glaze (add-on) and Dry Shampoo (add-on)


As you can see in the above pic, I put my two add-ons (the dry shampoo and the Rock Candy Nail Glaze) in with the regular 3 polishes sent in the 'It Girl' box so this doesn't depict what all 'it girl' subscribers were sent since I paid for each add-on and these are ordered at discretion (so, if you want, you add it and if not, you don't!).

Julep Nail Color in Eden 

When I checked out April's offerings in the Julep order/skip window (20th-24th of every month), I for some reason, thought that 'Eden' was a very bright blue. However, on actual inspection, it seems like a very bright purple and is touted as a 'bright violet creme' in the official description. Honestly, I can't wait to try it out. Though, I am waiting because I did a manicure in China Glaze's Sun Worshipper (it was included in the Coco Rocha Fancy Box along with another China Glaze lacquer in Concrete Catwalk). Overall, I love the brightness of this purple because it isn't a deep serious color and is definitely a spring-y bright. 10/10

Julep Nail Color in Abbie

I don't know why but I think this color is named for Abbie Cornish (who was great in 'Bright Star'). Similarly to Blake Lively (and the bright butter yellow named after her that is a very popular color), Abbie Cornish is a blond most of the time and does seem like a good association with the yellow we got. The official description is 'sunshine yellow creme' and it looks it. I like how comparatively bright it is to 'Blake' (which is more buttery that neon-y) and I'm very much looking forward to doing a pedi in that color for any summery event. The fact that it's full coverage is also a huge plus for me. 9/10

Julep Nail Color in Mackenzie

Ok, I have to be honest here. Any green color immediately makes me think of Shrek. I usually try to stay away from bright greens lest I be called Shrek or Fiona and I just don't feel like these greens go well with my style. However, 'Mackenzie' could be used on an accent nail or for nail art so I don't feel like it's a total loss. Official description: sour apple green frost. I'm wary of trying it but try it, I will. Not my fave right now but that might change (I loved the look of 'Nikki' a while ago but when I tried it, it looked like the ugliest almost puss-like color on my nails. It was given away immediately). 7/10

Add-ons: 

Julep Rock Candy Nail Glaze

So, I couldn't find a good description of it but the gist is that it's supposed to give your nails a shiny rock candy type finish. It isn't a full coverage creme (it looks quite dark in the bottle as you can see in the pic above), instead it's a sheer color meant to be layered over other colors. I haven't tried it yet (due to the aforementioned very recent neon orange color that I'm currently rocking) but I'm pretty sure that I'll be trying it soon (like I won't be able to stand it and I'll try it in the next 6hrs at the latest, soon. I love the idea of this and I 'spent' 750 jules (about equivalent to 4.99 which is what it was priced as on add-on, not the regular price btw) for it. A great spring concept. I'm down for it 100%. 10/10


Julep Dry Clean Invisible Dry Shampoo

I'm a dry shampoo addict. I started using and loving it years ago when it wasn't super easy to find in stores like Target like it is today. I used to have to pay big bucks for it and now that I don't, I have the luxury of trying on quite a variety of dry shampoos that range from 'wtf are you thinking??' expensive to 'awesome deal' cheap. When I saw this as an add-on, there was no doubt that I would order it. It retails for $22.00 on the site ($17.60 if you're a Julep Maven) and thanks to taking advantage of it as an add-on, I paid $9.99. Since I'm hugely into dry shampoo (the volume! the texture! the not having to wash your hair!!!), this will definitely go into my regular rotation. The smell isn't terrible and it does it's job well. However, I'm going to need a couple of uses to give it a definitive opinion. For now, though, I love it. 10/10

Overall:

I love what I got and I love that Julep is branching out into different beauty products instead of just sticking with nail polish. It isn't the most surprising month but oooh! I forgot to add that we also got a 'rock candy' lollipop in the box! I'm not huge on candy but it is a nice touch and the color and texture of the rock candy is beautiful. So, it's not the best month everrrrrrrr but not the worst by a long shot! It is consistently fun to get these boxes and if you're a nail polish fiend, I suggest you try it out.

Box:
Frequency
Monthly w/ ability to skip any month you don't want
Price
19.99 for box, prices vary for add-ons
Perks
Ability to skip a box, maven pricing on everything in the online store, referrals, the ability to earn jules to pay for boxes or add-ons (you earn when you join, 300 jules each month you get a box, on your birthday and on your year anniversary), the ability to pick from various styles offered every month.
Recommend
Hell yes! ;) I do if you're a nail polish fiend and want new colors every month. The cool part is that you almost always get some cool extra included. 



No comments:

Post a Comment