Saturday, August 31, 2013

September Boxes!


It's nearly September (or it'll probably already be September when you read this) and what does that mean?

The fun of boxes begins again! Gone are the summer, endless summer, bohemian summer, and hot summer themes and their replacements are a whole lot cooler (figuratively and literally)! Back to school, crisp fall leaves, the start of a new season, colder weather, getting near the holidays, getting tantalizingly close to Halloween, my birthday (yes, because it clearly matters to everyone!!), and that feeling of newness everyone gets even if they're not going back to school, the clothes (omg the clothes!!)... These are just a few reasons why I love Autumn and why it is truly my favorite season.

I'm very ready for the summer to be over (today was the first day I was forced to actually turn on the a/c in my room) and for my favorite season to start. Plus, the cycle of boxes starts anew. It's time to pay the piper and get new stuff! Here's a mini schedule of the month (taken from personal experience and delivery time to Southern California so it isn't infallible, check with every sub to be sure about your expected delivery date):

Birchbox-(!!!) charges on the 1st of the month ($10.00) and boxes are typically delivered in early to mid-month. You'll be updated on what you're getting on your personal account page by about the 10th. I'm not completely sure but I think there's currently a wait list for birchbox, so if you're interested, get on the list! I don't think you have to pay until you actually sign up!

Julep- If you're already a maven, you get to choose/skip between the 20th-24th of the previous month. Boxes are charged on the 27th and delivered in the next week. I think this is one of the quickest subs since I typically get their boxes quite early in the month. If you haven't joined, you get the intro box and then the option to purchase that month's box. Boxes are typically $19.99 and add-ons vary. You're free to skip any month you don't like.

Ipsy- There's currently a wait list for ipsy so again, check them out if you'd like to get the October box (it isn't super likely that you'll get the September box but you can try!). They typically charge on the 1st ($10.80 in CA since they charge tax) and delivery is about mid-month.

Popsugar Must Have - They typically charge on the ~1st of the month ($35.00, I pay $37.80 thanks to sales tax in CA) and delivery is relatively early to mid month. According to the popsugar must have page, they're sold out of September boxes so if you sign up, you'll probably get your first box in October. However, I know there's a waitlist feature so you might get lucky and get the September box.

BeautyBar Sample Society- They typically charge ($15.00, I pay $16.20 w/ CA sales tax) on the 27th of the previous month and delivery is early in the month. Their boxes are delivered by UPS so I typically get them by the 10th of the month. I'm not aware of a wait list for this box but I do know that if you sign up right now or later in the month, you might get your first box in October.

Glossyboxgb charges pretty early in the month (~5th) but their boxes are typically delivered very late in the month (I usually get my box on the 25th-28th of the month) so if you subscribe for September, you'll probably get your box in late september. This one is comparatively pricey at $21.00 but they do include full sizes so it's a bit of a trade-off.

Whimseybox- the purveyors of craft awesomeness also charge relatively early in the month (~5-10th) and delivery is late in the month. My August box came in on August 31st. However, I look forward to this box like a mofo so I'm ok with the shipping since it seems to work that way every month. There's no wait list that I'm aware of but if you're not a member yet, I'm assuming September or October could be your first box.


So, those are the boxes that I subscribe to regularly. I know that there are a LOT more out there but these are the ones that I trust the most because they're generally legit. I've tried my luck with other less mainstream boxes and they've not been the best at shipping and one box kept charging my card after I canceled (their name ends with a number, that's all I'll say) and didn't correct it until I emailed them weeks after they'd charged me (yes, it took me that long to notice!).

NEVER EVER TRUST ANY BOX THAT ONLY HAS A FB PAGE! Or a shitty, late 90's looking page! If they talk about illness/ personal issues that affect the box for some reason, GET OUT! There are a lot of scams out there and getting your cash is the name of the game. Also, beware of boxes that may be buying fakes and passing them off as the real thing! There are some out there that buy lots from China on ebay and then claim that they're selling 'high-end' brands at impossibly low prices. If you see anyone offering Chanel, Dior, M.A.C. (which I don't consider high end but some people do), don't trust them!!! These brands don't typically work with ANY boxes, let alone a box operated by one individual. If a big name like birchbox can't get them, then you can be sure as hell that they won't be legit.
Remember the much repeated phrase: If it's too good to be true, it probably is! Don't give out your info to just anyone and research all sub boxes thoroughly before you sign up!

I know that was a long rant but I just want you guys to be safe! There are a lot of horror stories about bad boxes out there and other companies that steal money and then go out of business or whatever and I hope none of you guys ever have to experience that. So, while my subscription box list is relatively short (and I know how obsessive you can get when you start with that box 'high'), I'll only post boxes that I've had a long-term relationship with. I know it sucks to be all mainstream but it is very important to protect ourselves. If I find any 'indie' boxes deemed trustworthy, you can be sure I'll post about them!

Be safe and have fun!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment