Thursday, August 29, 2013

Glossybox August '13 Box Review

A few days ago, I posted my long awaited (lol) review of July's glossybox and it wasn't the most favorable review, to be honest. I typically don't like to bitch a lot about the boxes I get and try to find the silver lining in each and every box. I've hated some items and loved others but I always make sure to give love to those I did like. Weirdly enough, I was pretty much ready to be done with glossybox because of how their shipping and blah, blah but after getting this box, I'm not so sure. First of all, I got a shipping notice email this month and it was delivered 2 days later (score) and the August was delivered in ACTUAL AUGUST! These factors are minimal compared to the fact that the box items are actually fucking awesome this month! We even got an extra freebie from 'Guess' (plus a discount) and I can't tell you guys how very surprised I was when I opened this box this afternoon. After being a tiny bit reticent to open it at all, I felt so stupid for not opening it immediately! So, as I have a great weakness for subscription boxes, my love/hate affair with glossybox is back to love. There will be a September box review and probably Oct, Nov.... you get what I mean. I have to admit, the late shipping is kind of ugh but the items make up for it (at least they do for me, anyone is free to disagree). The only downside is that out of this month's 5 items, I only recognized one brand (modelco) and the other's are new to me (to say the least). I'll be doing so google recon on each item so we can see if it's worthy of our faces and our dressers ;)

A first look at August's Stuff (sorta fuzzy) 

A clearer look 


Now, on to the good stuff:



Anatomicals Spray- Misty for Me Facial Spray (full size)

Facial spray! What can I say? (besides that that rhymes loll) I actually really like facial spray. I hate anything greasy on my face and find that a spray is a great way to get some nutrients on my skin without having to slather anything on. Considering the horrendous muggy weather I'm currently suffering through, this spray (with lavender, witch hazel, and peppermint extracts) is actually perfection. Especially since I have such sensitive skin that I think I chemically burned my check just by using astringent :( I woke up today with a super red and swollen right cheek and I seriously didn't want to go to school but I had to (plus it was a cool 95 degrees fahrenheit outside) so this had been a difficult day for my face. This little purple bottle arrived at just the right time. Note: this spray is recommended for normal, dry and sensitive skin but I have both oily and sensitive skin and it feels goooood. 11/10


Novex Brazilian Keratin Hair Care Treatment Cream

More keratin treatments! As I stated in my July review, I love deep conditioning masques and such but maybe this should be the last one for a while. This is another cream treatment and while I'll definitely try it, I feel like the packaging makes it look like something you can get at a drugstore in Mexico (or Brazil where it's actually from). However, it sucks to judge a book by its cover so I'll definitely be doing a test run so I can see what effect it has on my super dry ends but seriously, the packaging is uuuuuugly. 8/10


Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush (full size)

Anyone who has read more than this post on this little blog knows that I'm obsessed with lip products. Obsessed! I'm happy to have gotten this lip blush (though it does bear a striking similarity to a pop brand lip stain I got in another box last month though these sort of products all look similar, to be honest). The only turn off is the name! Jelly Pong Pong? It makes me think of ping pong or maybe a fake Thai hooker name (Jelly Pong Pong is here to party!!!). This lip blush is a UK product and it seems to come from a very small company (the founder has a blog, found here) but really, the name is just weird. Hopefully the product compensates for that. Pong pong pong.... 8/10

Ahhh, I just did some recon and found that the founder of Jelly Pong Pong is Malaysian. Maybe 'pong pong' has a meaning that I'm not aware of (I suck and know nothing about Malaysian culture)? If anyone has a solid answer, tell me! I want to know!

Jelly Pong Pong Lip Blush 

ModelCo Eyeshadow Duo in Bronzed Goddess (full size)

ModelCo is actually the only brand I already know about have items from in this month's box. I've gotten ModelCo from various boxes (including previous glossybox editions) and I generally like what I've gotten. This month, I've been given the 'Bronzed Goddess Eyeshadow Duo' in Maldives and Jamaica. Maldives is a shimmery gold that seems to have very small gold glitter and Jamaica is a gilded chocolate brown with gold shimmer. This duo is kind of perfect for me because I've been very much into trying a neutral eye but I love some extra shimmer. I know a lot of women tend to prefer matte colors but I'm going to wear all of the shimmer/glitter that I can while I can!

Maldives looks a lot lighter in the picture. It's actually more of a bronzed gold.


Sue Devitt Triple C-Weed Pressed Powder in Quiet & Still (full size)

A full size pressed powder! Another brand I hadn't really heard about but as soon as I googled it, I realized that it isn't quite as indie as I might've assumed. Macy's has the most of the Sue Devitt products the carry on sale right now and the Triple C-Weed pressed powder is down from retail ($28) to $21 here. The reviews are quite positive (though not super recent since the more recent review is dated December 2012) and I'm actually glad I got this product because I actually like it! It's offered in 4 shades (lightest to darkest): Quiet and Still, Summer Monsoon, Kimberley Plateau, and Tirari Desert. I got Quiet and Still and tried it on immediately. The result? Matte skin without the powdery old skin look you can get with other products. I'm seriously surprised and I think this might be my favorite item in the box. Actually, this one is going directly into my makeup bag. Plus, even on sale at $21.00, it is still a great bargain to get this in a box with four other items. Easily my favorite item 11/10

Love love love.

Guess Makeup Bag and 30% Discount Card

This was a little unexpected addition to the box. A denim guess and glossybox branded makeup pouchette that looks just cheesily 90's enough to be right on trend and a 30% discount card for glossybox members that expires in September. I think I'm going to do some browsing at Guess (haven't done that in yearsssss) and I'm going to see if there's anything worth getting a 30% discount on. Yep, they've got me doing exactly what they wanted. Free gifts will do that to a person. Hear that sephora? Gifts should be for all VIB Rouges not just those who spend $10k/year if you advertise it as a perk of becoming Rouge! *Totally OT* Disregard that. It's just something that's bugging me. Love extra things like this 11/10

One side of the bag (btw it seems to have photographed pinkish but everything that isn't light blue denim is WHITE (not pink) 

Other side of the bag

30% discount card

Overall, I'm really happy with this month's box. I can actually use absolutely everything included and not only that, but I want to! Just counting the makeup, I got eyeshadow, lip stain, and pressed powder. Plus, hair stuff and facial spray! After being so/so at last month's box, this glossybox created a surprising turn of events for my previous plan to cancel. I'm happy enough this month to stay until the next. We'll see how they do in September ;)


Box
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$21.00
Perks:
Ability to earn 'glossydots' by doing surveys reviewing the items you get every month. 1000 glossydots= 1 free box. 
Recommend
With reservations. If you do choose to get on the Glossybox roller coaster, you should expect for shipping to be usually late in the month (I got the August box on August 28th). Nevertheless, the products do tend to be a good mix of high-end samples with larger than usual sizes (think deluxe and travel instead of foil packets) and this month had mostly full sized items. I'm still a glossybox subscriber (and happy..... for now) but you must (!) weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. Also, you can always try a month and cancel later. There are a few codes out there pretty frequently for at least a 15% discount or an extra gift with your first box. 

WINK might get you a free eyeliner so feel free to try it ;) 


As always, don't spend your hard earned cash on something you don't love!! 

3 comments:

  1. It's always nice when you get a good box after a not-so-good box. I've seen Jelly Pong Pong reviews from a bunch of different boxes, and they sound decent. The pressed powder sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pressed powder! It's horribly humid right now and it's a miracle that it can control my shine for hours (my MUFE pro finish can't do it!). Def one of my favorites. Also, the jelly pong pong (pong pong!!) has a really cute pink tint that I hadn't noticed; it's a keeper too :)

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    Have you heard of the AMAZING beauty box "memebox" ? It's 100 times better than Glossybox!
    This is not a subscription box, but you choose which boxes to get. The boxes are supercute and contains deluxe samples plus full size beauty products!
    They ship internationally!
    http://us.memebox.com/?acc=f9be311e65d81a9ad8150a60844bb94c

    ReplyDelete