Saturday, August 24, 2013

Glossybox July '13 Review

Yep, I'm posting this Glossybox review pretty late but they're usually pretty late and I always get a certain month's box the next (I got the July box in early August) and I haven't gotten the August box yet (or even a shipping notice :/ ) I typically love the items that are sent in every glossybox but the company isn't terribly reliable for shipping and their website is good but there spelling errors in the surveys always take me out of the moment and make me wonder why the fuck a professional business can't get a fluent copy editor?

Ok, so with that little rant out of my system, I can get back to what we actually care about, the samples! I'm guessing if you're reading this, you care more about knowing about the month's samples!

I need to feel better and with that in mind, I'll post this:

Why don't you refresh yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka? 

Seriously, Dave Chappelle's masterpiece is the funniest Prince skit in existence. Also, this is the new single cover (which is 100% legit btw) and it makes me giggle just by thinking about the where it came from (if you haven't seen it, watch it HERE: scroll down and prepare to laugh your ass off). Also, if I could dunk a basketball and then slowly float down from the basket, I'd totally do it. EVERY. DAY.


Ok ok, now back to our regularly scheduled programming:

This is what the terrible me got in the July Glossybox (note the 2 deep conditioners, there's a reason for them) 

All in all, July's box isn't bad at all. More than 60% of the stuff included are things that I actually like and use and the deep conditioner is a godsend (seriously, I'm a deep conditioner snob and this is some good conditioning) but not everything can be great and there are a couple of items that I'm just like ughhhhhh about (quit with the bulgari soaps! They smell horrible!) either because I don't like previous iterations of the object sent out or because the brand just doesn't say 'I want this' to me (*cough* the makeup wipes *cough*). Overall though, I'm glad that there are a few items that I'm really happy about and, well, I already paid for the next box so we'll see then if I decide to stick with the never ending emotional roller-coaster that is subscribing glossybox.


Bulgari Eau Parfumeé (thé blánc -white tea) Shampoo and Shower Gel


Bulgari. Oh Bulgari. Your magazine adverts with Kirsten Dunst and a lion are fucking awesome (in a total wtf kind of way) but this thé scent is way too overpowering for me. Glossybox  has sent me their round solid soaps, their bath infusion, and now their shampoo/shower gel. It's like ok, I fucking get that you're trying to shift these items! It's like being forced to keep and keep getting soap and shampoo you didn't like from a hotel! Absolutely everything Bulgari that has been sent has been from the same exact line! Same scent! I've negatively reviewed it every time on their surveys but I'm guessing that counts for shit. To be honest, it feels like they're just trying to move excess stock and it pisses me off to no end. It's stuff like this that makes me unsure about sticking with gb. 0/10 


Nails Inc. mini in 'Baker Street'


I love 'nails inc.' so let's get that out of the way. I love the names (all British streets and neighborhoods) and the colors (definitely modern and youthful) and I actually got a nails inc. beaded polish in 'embankment' this week from sephora. It is damn difficult to apply but the final texturized result is great (it does take a crapload of time to dry so beware!). Soooo, I guess what I'm saying is that I'm pretty much predisposed to liking this item. 'Baker Street' is a perfect summery blue that was actually on my shopping list before getting it in this box so I'm compelled to consider it an immediate score. The color and application are great and while the mini kind of sucks since the full size only retails for $9.50 (cheap in comparison to my current Deborah Lippmann glitter polish addiction where each bottle retails for $19.00) but this is a sample that I was immediately gratified with plus there was no extra analyzing or second guessing. That, in itself, is a miracle. 11/10



Absolute! Makeup Cleansing Tissues (10 pack)


Bleeeeeeeech. That was my immediate response to the 'Absolute!' Makeup towelettes. I love makeup cleansing towels and am addicted to the 'yes to....tomatoes, grapefruit, etc' brand. However, the only other 'Absolute!' brand item I've ever seen is the solid perfume sent to me by glossybox (I'm sensing a trend) which was probably the worst introduction to a brand I could get. Besides the fact that it smells terrible to me, it also has terrible glaring misspellings right on the packaging. So, I do feel like I'm being a bit of dick about it but I'm not even trying these things. I'm already happy with the ones I do use and these seem like nothing special. However, seeing as I'm already biased, I'd say to try these out if you got them and to not take my word for it because you never know. They might be great for someone else but not for me. 5/10 



Dr. Brandt BB Matte with Signature 'Shinerase' BB creme in 'Light to Medium'

I've been very vocal about my distaste of the BB cream takeover but that's usually because they're all supposed to make you look 'glowy' and super hydrated which, for my skin, is code for 'oil slick' and 'look like I'm sweating like a motherfucker'. However, this particular BB cream is geared towards that part of the population (tiny judging by the availability of this type of BB cream until now *sarcasm alert*) that doesn't need hydration as much as they require oil/blemish control and a long lasting (or just lasting damn it!) matte finish. As I am obsessed with getting a long term matte finish and have been foiled by false promises made by expensive primers and powders, I was totally down to try this and have it fail. However, I tried this sample about as soon as I saw what it was. My verdict? From the light layer I put on my bare face, I'd have to say that the result is pretty good! My forehead didn't look shiny at all a couple of hours after putting it on and I wasn't heading towards sweating pig territory so I have to rescind (ehhh not really, I still hate most of them) my previous hate filled anti bb creme diatribes because this sample is actually a standout in the box. 11/10



Figs & Rouge Cherry Blossom Lip Balm

I hadn't ever heard of Figs & Rouge before getting this tube of lip balm that I initially thought was a hand creme sample (doesn't it seem similar to the L'occitane sample sized hand creme tubes?) but it was fortunately a red tinted balm and these are one of my major makeup weaknesses. They really are! Apparently, Figs & Rouge is a UK company but that's about as much as I looked into the company, to be honest. I like the packaging and the balm isn't nasty or weird tasting and it gives a slight pinkish tint to the lips so I'll consider it a good sample, not a great one, but solidly good. 8/10



Brazilian Blowout Acai Deep Conditioning Masque  (x2)

First of all, I love this deep conditioning masque and will absolutely buy the full size. I'm always looking for something that'll leave my parched ends (which still haven't recovered from my dip-dye attack of early 2013) softer and less leaning towards crunchy straw. This masque is all that and a bag of chips (purveyor of the most current vernacular, aren't I? HA!) I do hate to have to schedule a long shower to do the deep conditioning correctly because if it isn't left on at least 3-5 minutes, well you might as well throw your cash down the drain! But yes, I'm quite into this masque and I'm cool with getting two but WHY did I get two in the first place, you might ask? Well, it seems that I was not given another sample that was supposed to be in the July box wasn't (that would be the Evologie Blemish Serum sample which I fortunately already have or else I'd be pretty miffed) and to make that up, I got 2 deep conditioning masks. I'm cool with it and it is a lot better than just missing a sample and getting nothing to make up for it. 11/10


Another look at July's box


Overall, I'm split. There are a couple of items that I really do like but a couple that I completely and utterly hate. At $21 per month, this subscription box isn't cheap and I hate spending money on something I don't like at least 35% of the time. Plus, factoring in their CS issues (it can take a looooong time to get a response) and the fact that I hate how badly edited the writing is on the website, I'm getting more and more unsure about my future with glossybox. I've already been charged for the August box (way back on the 5th, I might add) and I still haven't gotten a shipment notice but it may be one of my last boxes. It'll have to be a really good one to partially erase the ill will that has added up with certain little peeves. I've been staying subscribed so I can review the box every month but this just might be the beginning of the end for our relationship. Fear not! If I do cancel, I'll replace it with another box! Plus, there is a tiny chance that I won't get anything I despise in the August box (if I get any Bulgari white tea items, I'm done son.) and that'll probably keep me subbed until my birthday in November because I love to add my October and November sub boxes to my bday gift count ;). Plus, June's box was actually pretty good so I'm not sure if I'm really sure (oh to be fickle!). 

So, we'll see....... We shall see.



Box
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$21.00
Perks:
Ability to earn 'glossydots' by doing product surveys. 1000 glossydots= 1 free box. 
Recommend
With reservations. If you do choose to get on the Glossybox roller coaster, you should expect for shipping to be kind of fucked up and usually late in the month. Nevertheless, the products do tend to be a good mix of high-end samples with larger than usual sizes (think deluxe and travel instead of foil packets). I'm still a glossybox subscriber for now but you must (!) weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. Also, you can always try a month and cancel later. There are a few codes out there pretty frequently for at least a 15% discount or an extra gift with your first box. 

WINK might get you a free eyeliner so feel free to try it ;) 


As always, don't spend your hard earned cash on something you don't love!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment