Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Birchbox August '13 Review

As I told you guys in the 'bad news' post, I'm reviewing this month's birchbox as soon as I possibly can and that's right now! This month is an interesting one because there are a couple of fantastic samples and the rest are a bit meh (one is completely WTF). Also, in the spirit of quickness, I used my iphone for the pics so they might not be up to par with pics in my previous posts.

Now, on with the show!

A first look (w/ flash) at this month's birchbox contents





Coastal Scents Eyeshadow Sample Quad

Coastal Scents is a brand I've kind of heard of but am totally unfamiliar with. From what I've heard, their items aren't pricey at all and kind of veer towards drugstore prices. Fortunately, I see nothing wrong with a little eyeshadow quad and am always excited when I get actual makeup in my boxes. The shadows themselves are pretty tiny but lend themselves to enough experimentation to see if I actually like how they feel and what they look like on. The colors, as you can see above, are pretty neutral (cocoa brown, shimmery gray, shimmery taupe, and sort of matte pink (?) ) and that makes them pretty interesting to try out during the day. Not my favorite eyeshadow sample ever (that honor goes to the full-size Vincent Longo trio I got in July's Sample Society) but, on the whole, pretty good. 8/10



Jasmine Seven Fresh Feet Wipes

This sample is the aforementioned WTF slash ewwwww sample. Feet wipes, they sent FEET WIPES. Are they trying to tell me something? Do I suffer from stank feet? (I DON'T btw) This is truly a sample that I personally wouldn't want in my birchbox, I'm pretty good at keeping my feet clean (ha ha) and this just feels like a waste of an item. Eughhhhh. 0/10



Juice Beauty Oil Free Moisturizer

Unlike the freaky feet wipes, the Juice Beauty Oil Free moisturizer is a great sample. I have combination skin that has been veering toward the very oily this summer and a good moisturizer is hard to come by with that kind of skin. However, this one is pretty great. It doesn't feel sticky or heavy and doesn't seem to clog pores (I've only tried it once so I can't have a definitive opinion on the subject). Another (very) positive factor is that the sample is deluxe size and good enough for multiple uses. Now, this is the sort of thing that I expect in my birchbox and I'm quite glad to not get another BB creme so I'm deeming this sample a winner. 10/10



Stila Stay all Day Liquid Lipstick in 'Beso'

This sample is, for lack of a better phrase, fuckin' awesome. It's a deluxe sample of Stila's Liquid Lipstick (which I love) that tends to be a tiny bit drying but sticks on like no other. I love getting lip samples because they're definitely my jam (I have a HUGE collection of lip products. No joke.) and any extra samples are like chips to me (you can't have just one; who said that? ruffles? lays? walker's? Idek) The only teeny tiny negative is that the shade I got, 'Beso', is actually the one I have a full size of. I would've loved to explore another shade but at least I know that it works on me, right? This is the kind of item that makes me happy to subscribe to birchbox, I seriously love to get monthly surprises (not that kind of monthly surprise lol) and when the sample is this good, it makes me feel like it's totally worth it. Love. 11/10


TanTowel Classic Formula Self-Tan Towlettes

This is another sample that kind of falls into the WTF category. Foil packets are my enemy. I hate them because I can never get enough product out of them to actually know whether I like something or not. While this sample is in a foil packet, it consists on one towel that can apparently tan about 50% of the body. 50%? Wtf will I do divide myself left and right or up and down? I've considered tanning my legs for an upcoming wedding so this sample might actually be used but I don't love getting tanning samples after I've repeatedly reviewed them negatively. I almost abhor tanning products so this sort of sample drives me batty because I know I won't be able to use it. 6/10


A "no-flash" better look at this month's contents. 



Overall, I'm fairly satisfied with this month's samples. I'm not overjoyed for a couple of items but I do love 2 items so I'd say it's an even trade. Not the best month because I've been lucky enough to get boxes where I love absolutely every item but not the worst. A respectable showing for this month's birchbox but I do hope they'll pay attention to my profile next month and maybe not send me stuff I really don't like (that'll never happen, lol).


Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$10.00
Perks:
Every $1 spent, equals 1 point, plus you get 10 pts for every item in your box that you review. 100pts= $10.00 with no accumulation limit (so you could have 600 pts aka a $60.00 credit/discount)
Recommend
Yes! Although I didn't love every item this month (and actually hated one), the ones I did like are more than enough to keep me happy. I love the point system, the CS,  and especially the brands they send out, so I'm still a loyal birchbox fan. 

As always, don't spend cash on anything you don't love! 

2 comments:

  1. It's good that you liked some of the products but a tan sample that is only good for 50% of your body is pretty useless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm trying to make the best of it since I really did consider just tanning my legs for the black tie wedding I'm going to but a towel that covers 50% of your body makes no sense! What do they expect? Like, "just tan your arms! Yay!'

      Delete