Friday, August 23, 2013

Whimseybox July '13 Box Review


Bonjour peepsicles!

I'm a total dumbass and thought that I'd posted the July whimseybox  review long agooooo. It turns out I never did or I messed up (stupid iPad!) and so I'm posting it now. Along with that, I already posted Julep's  September box options and I'll be publishing another post reviewing glossybox's July box (their August box hasn't been sent to me yet) as soon as I finish writing it. I've been a bit busy with school (yes I've decided to go back and try to get a graduate degree) and this is my first week back. As such, I've been pretty lax on the blog but my schedule is stabilized and I'm here for the long haul. 

Now, on to the review!


As you guys know, the whimseybox box is one of my supreme faves. I looooove crafts and this is the only crafts box that I love enough (and trust enough because it's legit) to subscribe to. July's box (aug is apparently shipping this week) is pretty much totes great (puns!), if I may say so. With the disappointments of missing out on popsugar's must have box (that reminds me I'm also going to post their August box reveal) and the 50% complete suckitude of my last birchbox , I'm very glad to report that this whimseybox is actually a good one. 

Yep, that's a lot of stuff

This is the main project for this box. There's also an extra mini project included.

That's right! July's box is all about making your own dyed tote! Since the individual sample review I do for makeup subscriptions just doesn't feel right with this particular box, I'm going to list out what is included and review it but I won't, say, review the rite dye for a paragraph (I don't think I could pull that off even with massive bullshitting!!). 

So, the DIY Dyed Tote Bag July Whimseybox includes the following: a dyeable tote large tote, gloves to protect your hands from the dye, 2 colors of Rite Dye (I got green and orange which I wouldn't recommend mixing together unless you really like poop brown), those cute multi-colored rubber bands that were also included with a previous box, plastic bottles with applicator tops for the dye, and an extra project, shown here: 

Paper piercing!
I'd never even heard of paper piercing so this is a great opportunity to learn about a new craft but, to be honest, I don't know what the fuck to do with it! 

This month's whimseybox is great for this reason: it lets you create something you can wear. I love trying to make my own accessories and usually get compliments (I'm not talking weird art teacher red clay necklaces lolll) and this tote is 'totes' looking good. I'm saving the rite dye for another project because, as I said before, I'm just not into mixing green and orange. If anything, my only qualm with this box is the two colors I got. I would've loved a blue like the one shown on the insert and got stuck with orange which is easily one of my least favorite colors. Otherwise, I 'tote-ally' like July's project. I like being surprised and so far, whimseybox has done a pretty great job. The extra project includes a hexagonal pattern and fabric to make a fabric flower. I'm assuming the flower then goes on something that is being quilted and this craft is OLD old school (like reallyyy old) and that actually makes it more interesting to me. I would've never even considered this sort of thing if I hadn't gotten it this way so, again, whimseybox is doing a pretty decent job at keeping me craft happy! My only hope is that they finally do a Halloween themed box because that is my jam. I'll be haunting Michael's as soon as september because that's how into this holiday I am. Plus, my birthday is about 10 days after halloween so it's a pretty good fortnight, all in all ;P 


Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$15/month but $10 for 1st month here
Perks
Ability to earn free boxes! 
Recommend
Yes! I'm currently very happy with this box and I'd legit miss it if I unsubscribed. However, please remember that you should only subscribe if you actually love crafting or really want to try a project or two to get started. Another pro worth mentioning is that this sub is accessible for beginners and has uncomplicated projects so if you're new to the crafting craze, you can definitely start here. 

 As I always say, don't spend your money on anything you don't love! 


2 comments:

  1. I really wanted to get this box but I signed up after the July cut off. I'm very excited for the August box though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry because I heard that the August box is going to blow the July box out of the water! I hope it's true too because I love the projects they come up with and now I'm expecting a doozy :)

      Delete