Friday, August 23, 2013

Julep September Box Options

Hello, my peeples!

As you might've read, last month I skipped Julep for the very first time. As it was the height of July and I'm a total lazy ass, I didn't even bother to review what was available. Honestly, I didn't like it at all and my dislike for the concept probably made it much easier to forget the post entirely.

Howeverrrr, this month has a "we love the city" theme that I actual love. I'm a complete sucker for cityscapes and I actually love big cities (you'd have to pay me a LOT of money to get me to move to a small town and even then I'd hate it!) and I love the direction of the nail colors. Why? The september Julep Maven box is a lot more 'fall' and there are deeper jewel tones and a little bit of glitter which for me is perfection. I unabashedly love glitter and I have to admit that. I know some people say it reeks of immaturity but I say that with the right touch, it can look sophisticated plus it's sparkly!

Ok, so let's see what Julep is offering this month:

Their tagline for this month's theme is "Thing big, inspired by big lights and bold dreams" and I'll go through what each profile is getting this month (briefly, I hope).

Profiles:

Modern Beauty

Bare Face Cleansing Oil and Blank Canvas Primer
Oils are HUGE this year in the world of beauty and I knew Julep would introduce their own soon enough. Unfortch, I just can't stand the feel of oil on my skin so this is a total no go. However, it is said to be a great cleanser for all skin types, so if you like it, go for it! The cleansing oil is being offered with every box except 'It Girl'. The other item is a mattifying face primer. I have so many samples to get through that it would make no sense to get another this month. Also, I'm kind of really into Smashbox's anti blemish primer so I'd rather save up for that (it retails at $42.00!!!)



Classic with a Twist 

This profile is getting the cleansing oil and two nail colors: Padma and Florence. They're described as a plum creme and a camel creme, respectively. Not my favorites since I have many a dupe but I love the autumn feeling they have. 



Boho Glam

The oil and 2 colors: Tatiana and Kristy. Kristy is a "midnight blue creme" and Tatiana a "golden burnt orange micro glitter". I'm pretty indifferent to Kristy but I just HAD to add on Tatiana. It makes me think of fall and soon, Halloween!!! My favorite holiday, hands down.



Bombshell 

The oil and 2 colors: Karmen (really Karmen with a K??? Why????) which is described as a "golden crimson micro glitter" and Daria is a "slate grey creme" and has the awesomest name ever. I used to love that cartoon so much.....



It Girl

It Girl is the profile I stuck with this month and includes 3 colors and no oil cleanser (yay!!) The 3 colors are: Catrina, a "marigold yellow creme" which will hopefully do better than the last yellow I got that looked weirdly greenish and made me look like I had some horrible nail disease; Josephine, a "deep teal grey creme" which I just love because of the name "Josephine" or "Jo" as in my favorite character in Little Women (well, until the end, I just can't understand why Louisa May Alcott had to have her married to the old german professor when Laurie loved her so much and was cute and rich to boot.(I'm so shallow hahah). Finally, Candace is a "golden chocolate micro glitter and I love it because it just screams fall.



Featured Add-ons (aka you have to pay for them extra):

Konjac Sponge

I didn't really buy into the konjac sponge and it's benefits but I was at my doctor's office and saw a pamphlet about the konjac sponge and was like "wtf? should I get this??". It's apparently great for gentle exfoliating and is all natural but I'm still on the fence because I have many a cleansing apparatus.



Reece

A nail color that is only offered as an add-on this month (but it only costs $4.99 as an add-on so that's still a pretty great deal) and is sooooo pretty. Reece is described as a "purple holographic shimmer" that "reminds us [Julep, not me lol] of the NYC skyline at dusk..." I really love the way this color looks and yes, I HAD to get it as an add-on.




Finally, this is my intended haul for this month's Julep Maven box:




I couldn't help myself this month but I'm actually pretty happy with what I did get (plus those jules I've earned helped me get the add-ons for free!!!) and I really like this month's selection. If you're into it, go ahead and join in at Julep or just look around. I'm a nail polish fiend and love it but you have to really be into nail polish to want to get it every month ;)

Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$19.99 (add-on prices vary and are added on to the $19.99 base price) 
Perks
Ability to earn free boxes, ability to use earned jules to pay for add-ons, etc.
Recommend? 
Yes. I'm totally into this month's city theme and  Julep has made me a happy Leslie once again. Their CS is fantastic (especially if you call in because emails may take a while to get a response) and their variety of offered items gets better and more varied (to be redundant) every month. This used to be just a nail polish only sub but now with the advent of the 'modern beauty' profile, you can get other types of beauty items every month without having to get polish at all. I'd say try a month  if you're really interested. You can always (and should!) cancel if you're not in love

As always, don't spend your hard earned cash on something you're not 100% in love with!


Note: All images were taken from Julep's official blog and are not mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment