Tuesday, July 9, 2013

FabFitFun VIP Summer 13 Box Review

Good news everyone!! (in best professor Farnsworth voice obviously) I'm back! I was a bit ill and doctor visits were involved aaaaand it took me a while to figure out I was sick so my posts had already been a bit erratic but NO MORE!!! I'm back, baby!!!

Today I received my second FabfitFun VIP box! The first one (spring, as it is a seasonal not monthly box) was a bit of a disappointment because of address mixups and a huge deal about getting overstock jewelmint jewelry (which is just disappointing in itself) so my expectations were quite low. However, I was freaking shocked when I opened the box and saw this:

Fabfitfun Summer Box
Just about everything is full sized and I was very surprised to see so many items included. To be honest, I'm damn excited to try most of them (except for the tanner because I just don't do tans) but I'm very happy after expecting a lot less. Again, I decided to avoid spoilers and just wait to be surprised and surprised I am. So, here's the item by item review (I'm super glad that fabfitfun stepped it up because popsugar can always do with some healthy competition even though I LOVE them lol):


Brace yourselves peeps because this review might be a long one due to the amount of items included:


Ivory + Mason Sunglasses

Soooo these are some interesting sunglasses. They're actually pretty cute and look very nineties plus I love the fact that they're grey (one of my favorite colors) but they very much run small so beware. According to my peeps at makeuptalk, the sunglasses are pretty easy to exchange for another style directly through Ivory + Mason (I read the fee was about $10) but I'm planning on keeping them. They came in a little black sunglass bag and with a light blue lens cleaning towel (a great perk because I lost the towel that came with my Dior shades whilst on holiday). Overall, I'm pretty happy about these but I very well know that one style won't suit everyone's tastes so the fact that they can be exchanged is pretty damn cool. 9/10



Catalina Su Lipgloss

First of all, the lip gloss is full sized! I adore lip products so this, to me, is fabulous. I've never heard of Catalina Su (seriously, this lip gloss is my introduction) so I decided to google the brand and they (well, she as Catalina Su is a makeup artist/blogger)  seem pretty small. The lip gloss retails for $14 which isn't very expensive but not too cheap either. The color seems similar to a Nars 'Orgasm' lipgloss dupe and since I love shimmery gold pinks for the summer, this lip product is another score. 10/10



Purlisse-Pur-Delicate Gentle Soy Milk Cleanser

According to the insert, this cleanser was named as one of Vogue's favorite products (nothing to sneeze at even though it really comes down to advertising cash). Since it has delicate and gentle in its name, I'm super down to try it out. My skin suffers from almost every darn problem that it can. The cleanser (it can apparently be used as makeup remover as well) is soap free, and has the following ingredients: soy milk, whole oats, and white tea. Plus it's full size! This is yet another score. I'm telling you guys, I'm soooo glad that fabfitfun improved their stuff because this box made me very happy in an otherwise so/so day. 10/10



Evian Brumisateur Facial Spray

This is something that I've always wanted to buy but have been basically discouraged from buying since it's a 'waste of money'. However, now it's mine!!!!! It is a freaking godsend right now because my skin is suffering thanks to the horrible summer weather (yep, I hate the heat) that is roasting me like a pig on a spit. This item is also full size (hell yes!) and is gonna become a handbag essential for the next couple of months (assuming it lasts that long). 11/10



Infinity Sun Glow on the Go

No box can be perfect and this is the item that I don't care for at all. This is a full sized can of sunless tanning aerosol spray. Since I've never tanned and don't plan to start anytime soon, this one is a bit of a loss for me. I'm guessing I'll either trade it, gift it, or sell it but for the tanning girls among us, this is a much better option than roasting in direct sunlight (it can and will cause wrinkles!) so go for this instead. 7/10



It Hair Care Surf Spray

I love surf spray but I may be suffering from having waaaay too many bottles of it (I currently have: bumble+bumble, not your mother's, and julep's new offering) On the other hand, there's no reason why I can have another bottle since they all have distinct smells and, for some reason, leave my hair different depending on the spray I use. This full size spray includes natural sea salt (omg a typo on the insert says it's natural SEAL salt or at least I hope it's a typo because I love seals!), marine sea kelp, and It Hair Care's exclusive 'Algae Triage Complex'. The 'fresh marine scent' is actually pretty fresh and smells good enough that I'll be able to actually stand it through a day of wear so yeah, I have to admit I love this too. 10/10


KIND Dark Chocolate Chili Almond Bar

I have to be honest, I've already gotten these as samples in other boxes (I think popsugar and birchbox) and I didn't really love them before so I have little interest in trying this one. I'll still end up gobbling it up as a snack when I can't find anything else but I'm not salivating at the prospect of eating one. There are some good things about these bars: they're protein rich, low sodium, and gluten free. Buuut, I'm not overly excited about them anyway. Such is life. 7/10


Orly Nail Polish in Sparkling Garbage

I'm not even kidding about the name!!! This glittery holo color is really named 'sparkling garbage'!!! I can't deny I was put off by that but after really looking at the color, I'm actually really excited to try it out! It looks like a greyish blue and first sight but it's really sparkly and movement gives it a rainbow spectrum of color that looks fucking magical! So, yes, the name is off putting but the color itself is weirdly cool. Plus I found it stashed in the crinkle paper below the other items so it was a really nice surprise! I seriously had just just done my nails when I opened the box so I haven't been able to try out the formula but based on the color, I might be in love. 11/10


Yes to Cucumbers Facial Towlettes (10 ct.) Travel Size

So this is one of the few small things included in the box. I've already purchased these face towlettes before (I'm actually currently using 'yes to grapefruit' facial towlettes right now) and I do like how they work. They don't leave the face feeling overly sticky or overly dry and they're hypoallergenic so they're no likely to make you break out. However, the smell isn't for everyone. Some people don't like the smell (it smells like soapy cucumber not natural cucumbers) but since they're so good for sensitive skin and I can bear the smell, I'm pretty happy to have a travel sized extra that'll be perfect for my next trip. 10/10


Another look at the fabfitfun summer box


Overall, I'm quite happy with this box and since it was such a step up from the inaugural box, I'll definitely be staying on board for the fall (aka my favorite season!!!!!!) box. I think that the amount and variety of items is just right for a girl like me. I know that tastes differ but I'm pretty happy to have almost every item included (with the exception of the tanner that just isn't my style) now in my arsenal so I'm overall pretty satisfied with the summer box. I'd say it's a solid A- and I'm very happy to see that fabfitfun took our concerns into account for this box. Also, I logged into my account and saw that the sign up quiz has been modified to include even more questions about size, coloring, style preferences, etc. which is heartening since I hear that future boxes will be even more tailored to our individual tastes (of course that doesn't mean that we'll automatically love what's included but I'm always excited to try new things) and that is another reason that I'm staying on board.


Box:
Frequency:
Seasonal (next box is Fall '13)
Price:
$49.99 per season (so every ~3 mos.) but you can get a $10 discount with code: 874390 at fabfitfun
Perks
Tailored boxes, ability to earn free boxes.
CODES

Enter Prom Code 874390 at FabfitFun to get the fall box for 39.99 ($10 discount) (code expires 8/11/13)

If I find any other codes, I'll paste/update here. 

Recommend
Currently, yes! I really like the summer box and am very much looking forward to the fall box. This sub is very new, this is their second box so I'm giving them a couple of seasons to get in the swing of things but I'm honestly pretty happy with this summer's offering. It exceeded my expectations and I hope that fall's box will do that too. If it doesn't, then we'll see ;) I'd suggest trying it out for maybe fall and going from there. The good thing is that you can cancel your sub online instead of having to call like some other subs force you to. So, give 'em a try if you're really interested! 

As always, don't buy anything you don't love!!!!! 






2 comments:

  1. That code doesnt work anymore - do you have any new ones? I cant wait to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Sorry it took me so long to respond but it's been a long ass day ;) The code I posted should've worked until up to August 10th (tomorrow) so it sucks that it didn't work for you for some reason. I just checked with them and their new offer is adding a full size Pür-lisse cleanser (like the one in my picture) to your fall box which is cool considering it retails at about ~$35.00 (depending on where you check) and it really is a great makeup remover.

      Either way, I hope you get a good deal and had a great day!

      Delete