Thursday, July 11, 2013

Popsugar Must Have July '13 Box Review

Well bonjour!

Last night I posted about the awesome popsugar August box announcement and told you guys that my July box was estimated to arrive on the 12th. Well, it arrived today!!!!!! A great surprise to find on my doorstep to be sure. Now, we can get down to business! 

Popsugar's July box is all about the summertime and again I have to accept that that will be the theme for most, if not all, sub boxes this month. As I've repeatedly mentioned, I really really don't love the summer theme and seriously wish we could skip ahead to fall and that feeling of starting anew (back to school forever!). Nevertheless, I must patiently accept that I will be stuck with this theme for the foreseeable future (I'm guessing August might be afflicted with the all encompassing "end of summer" theme) and I must be forced to make the best of it. 

Ok, time to turn off the emo and get to the good stuff: 

Excitement! 

A closer look at the July Popsugar Must Have Box

Another look without flash (you can see the rose gold tone of the necklace much better) 



Mighty Leaf Ginger Peach Iced tea plus Tovolo King Size Ice Cubes (red) 
Ice Cubes: $8.24
Tea: $6.25 per pouch (4 included so worth about ~$25.00)

Hmmmmm... I have to admit I'm not the biggest iced tea fan and so this item is half bust. Why? I've just never taken to the flavor. However, the ice cube tray is great and apparently retails for $8.24 (according to amazon). I love these sort of things and I even go to ikea just to find different shapes ! I'm quite "American" in the fact that I love most of my drinks with a LOT of ice. It drove me nuts in the UK because I just love icy drinks, ok??? Anyway, these are basic cubes but freaking enormous in size. Apparently they melt slower and keep drinks cold longer. They're in my freezer as I write because I love me a coke zero with some huge ice. As for the ginger peach tea….well…. I gifted it to my mother and maybe I'll have a taste when she makes a pitcher. 
Tea: 7/10
Ice cubes: 8/10



NCLA Nail Polish in 'As if!'
Retail $16.00

This nail color is part of the NCLA pastels collection. It is a lavender pastel purple creme and has the best name everrrr. Why? To most peeps under maybe 25, "Clueless" may not be an essential movie but it truly is a girly classic and one that I've watched many a time (dvd, cable, with friends, etc) The name and the color just go together well because the namesake film is saturated with bright colors and crazy ass outfits (the white Calvin Klein dress and any Alaïa have become the friggin' holy grail of Clueless fans) that just have to be seen. So, if you haven't seen the movie, hop to! I think I'll try a doing my nails with this color whilst watching the movie to make a night out of it or maybe I'll just do my nails because this color is perfect for the season. 
11/10



Hannahmax Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip All Natural Crunchy Cookie Chips
Retail: $5.99 ea. 

These are the only item that disappeared almost as soon as the box was opened and contents inspected. I saw the word 'chocolate' on the packaging and that was enough to set off a snack frenzy (my brother participated too). They were actually pretty good for chip style cookies. At first, the pieces kind of look like the stuff you scrape off the bottom of the pan when you accidentally burn a batch of brownies but the taste was chocolatey enough to counteract the look. It would've been awesome if they'd included two packages because the one bag was gone so quick I didn't have time to really savor it. Since I was really hoping for a sweet of some kind (especially chocolate), the cookie chips were were a definite score. 
11/10




Baublebar Rose Double Curb Chain
Retail: $28.00 (sold out, wait list on baublebar)

Now we've come to what might be the most controversial item of the box. Some of the ladies of makeup talk were NOT happy with popsugar's inclusion of this necklace. Some posters deemed it hip hop-y and said it could make them look like rappers and such. There were even parodies of how the necklace came to be included in the box! Now, they can have their fun (and I love them forever even if they do hate this necklace) but I personally really think this statement necklace is on point. It's a double chain in rose gold and it isn't too long or too short. It will look perfect with more understated clothes and I actually plan on pairing it with a black/white button down shirt. It'll also, per popsugar's insert, look perfect with a nice simple tee (another look I have planned) or a dress. My style is not 'hip-hop' (such an old word lol) AT ALL but love this necklace. Also, knowing that a more delicate style is coming in August's box makes me giddy-happy with the new additions to my ever expanding necklace collection. 
11/10 

A bit of a better look at the controversial July necklace



Supergoop! SPF 30 Anti-Aging City Sunscreen Serum
Retail: $42.00 (1.7 oz) 

That's right, $42.00 sunscreen! However, the benefits, as claimed by supergoop! themselves, are numerous. This isn't just any sunscreen, it's an 'anti-aging UV damage repair complex". While I typically don't buy this sort of stuff (yes, I'm an irresponsible idiot sometimes), I am quite intrigued. Especially since the popsugar insert states that it can "…reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles." I'm in my 20's and I've recently noticed the beginnings of fine lines on my nasolabial folds (aka smile lines) and I'm freaking out. I've recently started using a variety of samples that target fine lines in hopes of finding something I really like so I can get a full size version. Now, I have a full size version that not only targets fine lines but acts as a sunscreen to prevent further damage. I wasn't very excited by the prospect when I first saw it but now, considering I actually need it, I'm very happy to have it. This is one of those items that possibly won't be loved by most ~20yr olds but even they should start preventative care! Otherwise, five years later, they'll find fine lines on their faces and have a good old "wtfff!!!!!!!" freakout. If this 'sunscreen serum' can prevent that, then it's definitely worth $42.00!
10/10




Overall, this box is a solid B+/A-. It isn't the very best box popsugar have sent but it is a solid effort and comes with a couple of very useful things. Plus, just the price of the sunscreen serum is more than the total of the box itself ($35.00) and even by casually adding the MSRP's together, you can see that the box is well worth the price. While I didn't love the tea or the ice cubes, I did really like/love the nail polish, the necklace, the cookie chips, and the sunscreen serum. I love the inclusion of girly things every month because that is exactly what I want from this box! 

Next month is the 1st anniversary box (with the $65.00 gorjana & griffin necklace as a special gift) and I am beyond excited! If only because I hope the box will be anniversary and not summer themed :D 


Box
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$35.00 (plus tax in CA, I pay $37.80 but you can get $5 off your first box with REFER5)
Perks:
Ability to earn free boxes.
Codes
Enter REFER5 for $5 off your first box.

Recommend

Definitely! As I said in my previous August announcement post, this sub is currently #1 for me. I usually love at least 80% of the things I get every month and use/have used almost every single one. If you're very interested, the time to sign up is definitely now because you'll get $5 off with the aforementioned code so you'll get the august anniversary box with the gorjana necklace for about $30.  As I said, this box is currently my jam but if you do try it and don't love it, don't hesitate to cancel because there's no sense in buying anything you don't love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment