Thursday, June 27, 2013

Target Beauty Box Review

About six weeks ago, I was surprised to find out that target (which is also known as the store I go to most often) is apparently starting a beauty box program. According to the insert included in the inaugural box, this is going to be a monthly thing. It seems that there were sporadic free beauty bags from tar-jay available some time ago but these are a thing of the past. As of now, the first box was $5 (including shipping) and has long since sold out. Honestly, I jumped on that train so fast. For $5, I didn't expect much and there was no actual ship date so I didn't expect to get it anytime soon. However, there it was on my doorstep. Now, I'm going to review all of it's target-y glory. It is worth mentioning, that while they have mentioned that this might/will be a monthly deal in the future, they haven't given a specific date or price for an actual subscription. For now, all I know is what was printed in the insert that came with the box.


A welcome surprise. 


This is the monthly program announcement as well as a coupon that was kind of useless since I never had time to use it before the expiration date. ETA: It seems that the coupon was extended to 7/13 due to widespread angry posts of target's facebook page lol

Finally, here are the contents of said box. All this for $5.00? Hell yeassssss. 

On to the item by item review:


La Roche-Posay Effaclar Duo Foil Packet Sample

According to the insert this product was previously only available through a dermatologist and is a 'breakthrough' acne treatment. Since I've been having some issues on that front, this sample is welcome. However, I don't think it's quite enough to really make a difference. However, my plan is to give it a try once or twice and then look at my skin's reaction and go from there. 9/10


Fekkai Glossing Cream

I've already used this and I love it. I ran out a while ago and completely forgot to get some more because I'm always trying out the newest stuff but I was super excited to see this in the box. Seriously, freaking elated especially since we've been getting some horrible humid weather and my hair is not reacting favorably, to say the least. This cream is going on my ends asap. Plus the size of the sample is definitely deluxe or even travel sized. No foil packets for this one. 11/10


Gillette Venus and Olay Razor Pack

So, I actually tend to use this brand quite often. Right now, I think I'm using the same brand but not the exact same razor. I saw this one at the store and mentally added it to my shopping list for the next week and weirdly enough, I got this the next day. This item is full sized so that's a plus but the "sugarberry" razor is pink as hell and that might be a deterrent for some. I got it for next to nothing so I'll be using this baby as soon as I need it. 10/10


L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream in 'Fair' foil packet

Touted as a magic all-in-one bb cream, this mass market sample is pretty small and doesn't have enough actual BB creme to try more than once (or once if you're lucky) so I'm not loving it. Also, it is something I could purchase full sized for something like $10 so it isn't something I really care to sample in the first place. Nevertheless, I'll try it out. 5/10


Sally Hansen Salon Effects Real Nail Polish Strips

I've gotten different brand samples of nail polish strips and I do actually like them. I tend to do one hand perfectly and the other is total shite when I use normal nail polish. Why? Because my dominant hand does an awesome job of painting my nails while my other hand sucks! The strips came in 'cosmic' (black base with large opal/gold glitter) and honestly, I love them but not for summer. I'm going to save these for the fall and rock them in October (I love love LOVE halloween as y'all will see) when dark nails don't feel so out of place. Overall though, I'm happy with this item because I never would've tried these otherwise. I'm a horrible snob about mass market stuff and tend to bypass Sally Hansen but after trying these strips, I might be buying some more. 10/10




Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I got for the price I paid. I didn't expect much for $5.00 and really, I expected less. I'm very lucky to have liked almost every item included and I'm definitely onboard for a monthly sub if it happens. Especially if it's $5/month! There hasn't been a cheaper sub out there that I know of besides birchbox (at $10/month) and I know that tar-jay has the power to be even cheaper because they're absolutely freaking huge (not that that's really a good thing). I do like me some healthy competition and more options out there plus I LOVE legit options (none of that only through fb bs or a shitty website full of grammatical/spelling errors that looks like it was made with windows '95) so I'm into the idea of this box for now. Hopefully, they'll announce a date/price for the possible monthly program and if/when they do, I'll be sure to post it asap in case anyone reading this is interested in joining in.


Box:
Frequency:
One-off/monthly program tba (?)
Price:
$5.00
Perks:
N/A
Recommend
For $5, I'd say give it a whirl. I could just as easily spend $5 on a coffee at Starbucks so I'm down to get samples for that price. As of now, they're all sold out so we have to wait for the next box/announcement to see what the future holds.  











No comments:

Post a Comment