Saturday, July 20, 2013

Ipsy Glam Bag July '13 Review

July has definitely been a month of ups and downs with respect to subscription boxes. There have been ties I've completely LOVED (about 80% of July's Ipsy bag) and others I absolutely will never ever use and therefore kind of totally hate. However, as I'm never one to whine (lol), let's get on with the good stuff and review some makeup/beauty items.


Cute bag! The outside items were packaged next to the bag, not in it. 

This month's items= whooo!

BH Cosmetics California Collection sample mini-palette



Pop Beauty Pouty Pop Crayon in Coral Crush

Yes! Yes! Yes! I love lip products and I love full sized lip products even more! I was a bit miffed with ipsy when I saw that I didn't get the benefit benetint sample (I don't think many peeps did) but this is a worthy replacement. It's a good texture and the pinky coral is perfect for the summer. This is definitely one of my favorites, not only in this sub but across all my subs this month. 11/10 


COOLA Mineral Face SPF 20 Unscented Mineral Moisturizer

Ugh. While the pouty pop crayon is damn near perfectly suited to me, the COOLA sunscreen is yet ANOTHER sunscreen sample to add to my useless sample box. I know it's July, I know!! It's been really hot here in SoCal so I know! But I really don't like sunscreen samples, they seem like such a waste when I subscribe to these companies for beauty stuff and especially makeup, not freaking sunscreen! 5/10 


BH Cosmetics California Collection sample mini-palette in Hollywood, San Francisco, and Malibu

Again, I love this! As I mentioned in my sample society review, I've been looking for new eyeshadows and now I have even more! The cutest thing is that it's a mini palette with color and detail. Other similar samples might come in something like basic clear plastic but I love that they 'California Collection' aesthetic is clearly defined. Plus, the 3 colors (Hollywood, San Francisco, and Malibu) are fantastic looking shades. I especially love San Fran and Malibu and now I'm definitely looking into what else this brand offers. 11/10 

Sexy Hair Soy Renewal Beach Spray Conditioning & Texturizing Spray

I already know about this brand and I think I've seen this soy line around but hadn't had the time to actually buy anything to try out. Fortunately, ipsy helped me out in this aspect. I tried the spray out almost immediately after I got it and I love it. I have many a texturizing spray but this one has a conditioning factor and it shows. My hair got that wavy texture but was a lot softer than the almost crunchy texture I'm used to with the other sprays. This is another line that I'll definitely be buying more of thanks to ipsy. 10/10

Nailtini Straight Up Color Nail Lacquer in 'Mai Tai'

I was completely sure I'd hate this! I didn't want yet another nail polish and especially not one from a brand I don't know a goddamn thing about. Howeverrr, when I actually saw it, I completely changed my mind. See, the color is orangey and not neon aaand it reminds me of a nail color I wore for nearly a month straight while at the Uni of Edinburgh. So, the memories got the best of me and even gave me a bit of nostalgia for college (tears!). Completely unexpected but I love this. 10/10 


Extra Item:


Selena Gomez Nicole Nail Polish in 'Pretty In Plum'

I referred a couple of friends to ipsy and thanks to their referral program, I apparently earned an extra item. The items available were listed as a baublebar bracelet (which I would love), an urban decay moondust eyeshadow (I would love it even more) and a Selena Gomez branded Nicole by OPI nail polish (the only thing I REALLY REALLY didn't want) and what did I get? Thanks to my horrible luck, I just HAD to get the item I dreaded, the nail polish. I seriously would rather not have this polish but now I'm stuck with it. It's a shimmery plum color and not too bad but not original at all since I have about six (better) dupes. I know this was an extra 'gift' and I am grateful but I fucking hate it! Ugh/10




Overall, I loved this month's glam bag and was very surprised considering I used to be quite skeptical of ipsy because it seemed to have lower/mass market brands. Nevertheless, I decided to try it and I'm glad I did because it's quickly becoming one of my faves. My only issues were that I got yet another sunscreen sample and that tacky nail polish as an extra. Other than that, I loved everything and the bag itself was probably my favorite out of the ~4 bags I've gotten since subscribing. I love the pencil case-like cylindrical shape and the sheer hot pink plastic. It just looks much more modern than previous bags and I hope that the peeps at ipsy keep going in this direction with the bag designs and the brand variety. 


Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price
$10.00 (plus tax in CA, I pay $10.80)
Perks
Extra items for referrals, brand discounts for every brand offered each month, full size items included (not guaranteed every month). 
Recommend?
Yes! I love it right now. Seriously, right now, I have nothing more to say than yes because I really, really like this month's bag (with the exception of the fucking sunscreen!!!). Give it a try if you're interested, it's only $10 and you can cancel if you hate it; although you probably won't ;)

As I always say, don't spend cash on anything you don't love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment