Thursday, July 11, 2013

Glossybox June '13 Box Review

Yep, you read right, this is the JUNE Glossybox box review. Why? Well, there was a huge disruption in sending the boxes after gb's association with Bondi Nails and Dallas Shaw (they were supposed to include a special edition 'Dallas Shaw' collection bottle in every box) went inexplicably tits up. I've read a couple of rumors but rumors and allegations aren't really the type of thing I want to discuss on here so we'll go ahead and skip to the actual box involved. Although I do have to say that it does suck to get a June box on the 10th of July!! Ok, ok back to the actual reviewing.

First impression? Cute box! 

Oooh the excitement builds
Hmmmm 

Hmmmmmm part 2 

Ok, so the contents don't look too shabby to start with and that makes me very happy. I spy a Tarte lip product and that makes the $21 price tag completely worth it.


C. Booth Honey Almond Nourishing Dry Oil Mist

Clearly, oils are a big trend and have been for the last year or so. I've gotten many a hair oil sample but very few body oils. I counted myself lucky because I really don't like them! I can't handle my skin feeling oily to the point that it drives me completely distracted! Therefore, this product is pretty much a no-go for me. The positive factors include the smell which is completely yummers and the size which is quite generous (travel size more than deluxe sample) and good enough for more than a couple of applications. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll even be trying this one out but for the body oil connoisseurs, this one might be a winner if only for the scent. 7/10


Spa Ritual Nail Lacquer in 'Kiss the Cook'

According to the quite new-agey Spa Ritual website, 'Kiss the Cook' is an 'earthy low note' type of color (the colors collections are divided by 'harmonies').  The 'earthy low notes' are deep maroons and brows. 'Kiss the Cook' is a full size creme finish deep reddish maroon. It isn't my typical style but it can definitely work for fall. Spa Ritual colors are apparently sold mainly at actual spas so that's kind of interesting. It's vegan and free of DBP, Formaldehyde, Resin and Toluene. I love the fact that the bottle has the little bunny label printed on it which means it is definitely not tested on animals (super important when you're an animal lover like me). Overall, it's an interesting replacement for the Bondi bottles (though those looked much more aesthetically pleasing) but the color isn't very summery. 8/10


Philip B. Light Weight Deep Conditioning Creme Rinse

Now this is a product I'm really interested in. I'm a complete hair product fiend (as anyone who has read any of my previous posts will quickly realize) and deep conditioning is my jam lolll The 2 fl oz size (the one included in the box) retails for $10.00. According to the bottle, this formula is paraben free (good) and includes african Shea butter (also good). I'm adding this one to my deep conditioning rotation immediately. Even the packaging is cute. 10/10


Oscar de la Renta Essential Luxuries Perfume Sample Set

This completely adorably navy blue satiny bag (with charms on the string handles) includes 6 samples of OdlR's scents. The scents included are: Granada ( touted as "romantic citrus floral accord with a radiant, feminine air inspired by the memory of the majestic Alhambra patios"), Mi Corazon ("...white floral bouquet... embodied in a lush, creamy accord of tuberose and ylang-ylang that mingle with peach for a warm tropical twist..."), Santo Domingo ("...smooth, smoky tabac fragrance ... Fresh, citrusy notes of mandarin and coriander embrace the rich warmth of tobacco, patchouli and spices..."), Coralina ("floral bouquet... blend of mimosa, violet and orris, softened with luxurious woody green notes..."), Sargasso ("crisp, green, invigorating accord is the essence of “sea spray”... Fresh citrus notes, watery cucumber..."), and Oriental Lace ("dark oriental... blend of the unique hoya carnosa flower with hints of honey and bitter almond surrounded by dark cacao and patchouli..."). So six scents that will take a while to all try out. A couple already stand out as potentials (Coralina and Granada) and I'm actually excited to try them out. The full sizes all retail at $150.00 per bottle so a scent decision is not to be lightly taken. I usually hate scent samples but I very much like this bagged selection. 11/10


Tarte Complexion Brightening Lipstick

This is very much the item I was most looking forward to! We were emailed a 'hint' that these would be included and that is why I semi-patiently waited for this box for a long while. QVC retails them at $29.00 but there are a LOT of ebay sales of the color (ugh I hate that kind of stuff, to be honest) and describes them as "...creamy lipsticks have a glossy, tinted core..." and "...complexion-enhancing pigments and emollient waxes..." that make lips look plump and youthful. The color is quite natural and the application is soft like a balm. Honestly, I love it. Love. 11/10



Overall, a respectable box but not the best ever (I think that honor still goes to the "man repeller" special edition earlier this year). Glossybox tends to send out great and sizable products but their shipping schedule is pretty much fuck-all and many have been disenchanted by this failing. I'm still on-board because I'm weak for the surprise products and the fact that every month has included at least 2 products that I've used on the regular. So, great products but horrible scheduling. It really is a bit of a gamble.


Box: 
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$21.00
Perks:
Ability to earn glossydots by doing product surveys. 1000 glossydots= 1 free box. 
Recommend? 
With a lot of reservations. If you do choose to get on the Glossybox roller coaster, you should expect for shipping to be kind of fucked up (even though this delay was caused by a specific event and other boxes have actually been delivered within their respective months) but the products tend to be a good mix of high-end samples with large sizes. I'm still a glossybox fan but you must (!) weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. Also, you can always try a month and cancel later. There are a few codes out there pretty frequently for at least a 15% discount or a gift on your first box. 

WINK might get you a free eyeliner so feel free to try it ;) 


As always, don't spend your hard earned cash on something you don't love!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment