Saturday, July 20, 2013

BeautyBar Sample Society July '13 Box Review


The thing I like most about Sample Society is that they tend to go for the high-end stuff and sometimes, I mean the really expensive stuff. All of the full-sizes of the samples in July's box are in the $25-65 range which isn't too up there in relation to high-end stuff but isn't too shabby either. Plus, when they do send out a full size (relatively often), it'll typically be of something from a recognizable brand and I LOVE that because I'm still an incorrigible makeup snob (I am working on it). Now, let's get on to the good stuff!

I like it. A lot!

W/ flash. 




Red Flower Ocean Hair Wash Deluxe Sample

This cleansing shampoo is 1.7oz which is really a nice size for trying it for a week or so. According to the insert, it has peppermint "to stimulate the scalp" and silk amino acids to strengthen and smooth. I've been looking for a good cleansing hair wash so I'm actually really excited to try it. Plus, it smells really good! 10/10 
Full Size Retail Price: $28.00


Vincent Longo Eyeshadow Trio in 'Stella Untold

Now this item I'm super excited about. Why? It's a full size eyeshadow trio!!! I've been thinking about how I need new eyeshadows (I've been stuck using the same creme eyeshadows for a while) because of my current rut so this item is a freaking godsend. This trio consists of 3 coordinating creme powder shadows with each color having either a moon, stars, or sun imprint (omg so pretty). Apparently, the sun imprinted color is the base, the lash line color is the stars, and the accent/crease color is the moon. It's a great concept and the neutrals I got (peachy, light pink shimmer, and chocolate w/ gold shimmer) are perfect for day to day. I'm actually considering buying more of these because the texture is fantastic. 11/10
Full Size Retail Price: $30.00 


Dr. T's Supergoop! Advanced SPF 37 Eye Cream Sample

This sample is a freaking miniature. It's supposed to protect eyes from sun damage but I think more than 2 uses out of this sample are unlikely. Honestly, I'm not loving the proliferation of sunscreen products in the subs this month (I tend to stay out of the sun because I get hives/rashes and I already have sunscreen) and the ubiquitous supergoop (exclamation point is all theirs) is not something I'd be likely to shell out $45.00 for (even though I actually got a full size city serum in the summer FabFitFun VIP box). While I do have a weakness for eye creams because I'm deathly afraid of crow's feet, this sample leaves a lot to be desired (like a lot of sample because the tiny packaging has barely any actual sample cream inside).  6/10
Full Size Retail Price: $45.00


Lollia Wander Petite Treat Shea Butter Handcreme Sample 

First of all, the packaging is beautiful. It comes in a flower print little box and the hand creme itself is in the same print so major points for packaging. The sample itself is relatively small but it is good enough to find out if it works with my sensitive skin (yes, even my hands are sensitive!) As you might've noted, this creme comes infused with shea butter (another plus) and the floral scent is actually really nice. I don't typically get excited by hand cream samples but I actually do like this one. 9/10 
Full Size Retail Price: $25.00


Tres Pure Face Tonic

Face tonic…. wtf is face tonic? Apparently, it's a spray that helps smooth wrinkles, hydrate skin, and firms it as well. All good, especially since it apparently only has 3 ingredients (neroli being one of them). This sample, honestly, seems destined for an older consumer. I know my mom would (and will because I'm gifting it to her) love this because it seems like just the thing for maybe older, drier skin with less elasticity. So, for me, it's a bit of a bust but it's cool to get something I can give to my mom. Also, if you're into it, try it! It's supposed to make the skin look better overall but beware of the smell because it kind of reminds me of my grandma. 7/10 
Full Size Retail Price: $65.00



Overall, an even mix of samples and there are some really good brands included. Everything included this month is a new discovery for me and the Vincent Longo eyeshadow trio is, by far, my favorite because it is just what I needed (I don't mind you comin' here and wasting all my time, time…) Lol, I bet very few teenagers will get that musical reference ;) This box does seem oriented toward an older and more sophisticated consumer and while I'm not there yet, I love to get stuff that I can divide between my mother and myself. So, yes, July's box was a good one.

Box:
Frequency:
Monthly 
Price
$15.00 (plus tax in CA, I pay $16.20)
Perks:
Full size items, sometimes included, a free subscription to Allure magazine is also included as long as you subscribe. 
Recommend
Yes! As I said, it does seem oriented towards an older consumer (not like ancient but maybe mid-thirties plus?) but almost every month includes some really great samples and full sizes are included pretty often. Honestly, this is a good one and I'm staying with it for a while. So, if you're interested, try a month but be sure to cancel if you don't love it.


As always, don't spend your cash on something you don't love! 


No comments:

Post a Comment