Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ipsy June '13 Glam Bag Review

Lots of updates for my peeps today as I finally got my June Ipsy glam bag and my inaugural Target Beauty Box so I many a sample for you guys to peruse! First, I'll start with my ipsy because there is drama (!) up ahead in the review so let's do this!


I finally (FINALLY) got my Ipsy June Glam Bag today and was freaking elated because I knew it included a starlooks lip pencil (I was lucky enough to get one for free a few months ago thanks to a contest on makeuptalk) so I know what great quality these pencils have. Alas, my happiness was short lived. Why? Because my pencil was broken!!!! Broken!!! Like my heart after I discovered said breakage. Not only that but the shade was horrifying. A purplish brown nude color made for (now I'm just guessing here) the stylish zombie! I used a shard of the pencil to swatch it on my hand and it looked even worse! I quickly emailed ipsy and hope to get a swift response but the pencil will still be included in the review. Although, I think I've pretty much elaborated my travails with said pencil of sadness.

These are the other items included and all full size which is great. 

A better pic w/ no flash. You might note the NYX blush which looks way lighter than it actually is. 




NYX Blush in 'PB 22 Pecan'

So, I'm not a huge NYX fan because it seems pretty downmarket in comparison to the stuff I usually use (yes, I'm a bit of a makeup snob and yes, I know it sucks) but I was actually excited to try something from NYX because I've decided to chill and give everything a chance. Unfortunately, the color I got (pecan) is a bit too brown for me to work with. I like a pink blush because it resembles the natural blush I have. I've tried darker blushes but they just look like really horrible stains of my cheeks. Therefore, this blush is going into the 'to gift/trade/trash' bag. 5/10


Starlooks Lip Pencil in 'Bare'

It is a terrible color but the color payoff and the texture is magnificent! I wholeheartedly recommend Starlooks because their lip pencils are magnificent. They're non-drying and almost buttery when applied. I also have 'tipsy' (a very bright coral color) and I love that one. Unfortunately (or fortunately due to the shade), this bag's pencil was broken. Well, I guess I'll just have to use the discount to buy a shade I like from starlooks ;) 8/10


Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter

Now this item, I like! It is apparently meant for highlighting around eyes but can also be used to cover up any spots or dark areas. The texture is soft and glides on the skin. Chella is another brand I've actually never heard of before but this is a great introduction. This pencil is going directly into my daily use make-up bag. Love it. 10/10


Cailyn Gel Eyeliner in 'Iron'

As I've said before, I'm not huge on eyeliner. I usually leave it for special occasions and typically do a super light eye for my daily makeup. Why? Well, it isn't a dearth of eyeliners (I have so many and keep getting the goddamn things every month!) but I'm not the best at applying the eyeliner and I always tend to muss it up because I always end up rubbing my eyes. So I tend to keep away from eyeliners for the aforementioned reasons. However, I'm interested in this eyeliner because it is applied with a brush and it is a gel liner. The best part? It's not basic black! It's 'Iron' a dark metallic which will look great for day or night looks depending on blending. This one is a score too. 9/10


J.Cat Sparkling Cream Palette in 'Volta'

It's weird because it looks like an eye palette and comes with eyeshadow sponge applicators but it isn't! It's apparently not meant to be used near the eyes at all! This cream glitter set is actually meant for the body. Many people might not like it as body glitter is usually associated with younger girls and ....well.... strippers buuuut I like it. I'm sorry, I do! I have an extreme weakness for sparkly things and this glitter comes in 5 sparkly shades of glittery, sparkly awesomeness. This set, called 'Volta', has gold glitter, what seems like a blue/teal glitter, bronze/iron-y glitter, black/silver glitter, and metallic blue glitter. I love all of the shades and I'm just trying to figure out how I can wear them without looking like a complete wanker. I'm guessing I'll have to try them on at night because going to the supermarket with a face full of glitter like a Kesha (I refuse to spell it with a dollar sign) wannabe might (just might) look out of place ;) 10/10


Overall, I really do like this month's Ipsy Glam Bag. I was already in love with the products when I saw the sneak peeks online but I was very disappointed with the shades I got for the blush and the lipliner. Brown blush and purple-brown lipliner makes me think they mixed up my bag with one for a chola from 1994 (no disrespect to any cholas today, do your thang, ladies!). Not my style. Due to the shade problems and the broken pencil, I can't rate this month's bag as a total score but I really did like it. Plus the leopard bag with neon zipper accents actually looks cute and trendy even though I fucking hate leopard anything. I'll give this month a B. If everything was right (better colors and no broken pencil), I would've most definitely been an A.


Box:
Frequency:
Monthly (billed on the 1st, ships around mid-month)
Price:
$10.00 (plus tax in CA, I pay $10.80)
Perks: 
Website lets you create looks, compete in contests, and earn extras through social network participation. 
Recommend? 
Yep. I might've not gotten the luck of the draw this month with the lip pencil and blush but I really did like everything else. Plus, I haven't gotten any bag that I'd rate a total disappointment since I subscribed. I told myself I'd sub a couple of months and then make a decision and so far, it's a keeper. Especially since everything this month was full-sized. 

As always, if you're really interested, give it a try but never spend your money on something you don't love! 



No comments:

Post a Comment