Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Birchbox June '13 Review

OMGGGGGG!!!!!!!

Yes, I just started my post sounding like a 14 year old one direction fan but alas that is how happy I am about this month's box. No joke, it is my favorite and I've been quite lucky in the last few months and have not had one box that I truly disliked. This month was a freaking homerun/touchdown/goal in terms of what I personally like and how happy I was to get the samples I did. I know everyone doesn't have the same tastes as me so it may not be that exciting to you dear reader of this blog (you're out there, right?! right?!??) but I'm a happy panda. Birchbox's June box is all about wanderlust and the presence of the hashtag #bbwanderlust is ubiquitous. We know that there are over 30 varieties of boxes sent out by birchbox every month so theres always that little bit of doubt about getting the 'punishment box' (a term coined by the ladies of makeuptalk) but I feel like I won the birchbox lottery this month and got the box that I would've wanted.

This month, I decided to forgo spoilers for all of the subs. Yes, I decided to know nothing beforehand because I didn't want to start the mental argument of why this/that sucks or why I couldn't wait to get something, etc, etc. So, all of this month's boxes are actual surprises! It's like christmas!! (not my birthday because I tend to supervise every gift purchase and/or give specific lists/hints as to what I want).

Yes, that IS a full size lip pencil you see there!!! 



On to the item by item review:

Birchbox + Color Club  Wanderlust Collection Nail Color in 'Reign in Spain'

The wanderlust collection is made up of four colors named for 4 cities in which Birchbox has offices: London, Paris, Barcelona, and New York (I'm lucky enough to have visited a couple of these cities and I'm obsessed with finishing the list). The color I received was 'Reign in Spain' (the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains?), is described as a "fiery coral... {that} evokes summer days under the mediterranean sun". Being as I've had the pleasure of burning my cheeks off in the mediterranean sun (it gets hot as a mofo, no joke), I like the idea and I love the color. Looking at the other selections, it's one of my faves. Of course, now I'm kind of obsessed with getting the whole set (four minis for $8.00!). 11/10


Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk

Anyone who has read my previous reviews could potentially notice that I love dry shampoos. I got obsessed with batiste brand dry shampoos when I studied in the UK and I haven't looked back ever since. I have fine hair and dry shampoos really do help add volume so they're now a permanent staple in my arsenal. This Klorane sample is one of the brands that I'd been hoping to try soon. Basically: me + dry shampoo = happy hair. No more to say. Wait, one more thing, it smells good ;) 10/10


Mirenesse Glossy Kiss Lipstick in 'Perfect Kiss'

This is the item that made me the most excited! Why? Because I'd recently been trawling (as opposed to trolling, lol) the bb shop looking for some good lip colors. I was undecided but put mirenesse's glossy kiss in 'perfect kiss' on my shortlist. Lo and behold, it was included in my box! Considering it retails for 26.55, I am very VERY happy to have it. Perfect Kiss is described as a 'soft coral with subtle shimmer' and it is exactly the color I was looking for to wear in the summer. I can't deny it, I love it and the texture is great too. 12/10



suki Exfoliate Foaming Cleanser

This sample is in a tiny little mini jar but it smells heavenly. It has a sugary rough texture (with accompanying scent) that makes it a great contender for my face wash rotation). I have very sensitive skin so I might take a bit to try it (I have to be very careful about what to put on my face) but try it, I will. It smells good, exfoliates and foams and I love the texture. Nothing wrong with this sample. 10/10



100% Pure Nourishing Body Cream Packets (2)

These are the least exciting items in the bunch. They're two small body cream packets. One is 'vanilla bean' and the other 'coconut'. They don't seem like they'd cover a lot of area but I'll probably try them on my legs after shaving. I have to admit that these are sort of a letdown after all the other great stuff but they're not too bad so I won't complain. 8/10


Overall, I love this box. Love it!! Plus, at the bottom of the box, there is a four postcard set with cute renderings of the aforementioned cities (London, Paris, New York, and Barcelona) that I felt put the best finishing touch on the box and made it something that I would very much covet if I didn't have it. This box is definitely an A+ for me :)



Box:
Price:
$10.00 (includes shipping) 
Frequency:
Monthly
Perks:
Earn 10 pts with reviewing items that are included in box. 100 pts= $10 discount. There is no limit to the points so you could theoretically have a $100 discount. 
Recommend
Yes! This month was a major score but every month has something I like. You can't pick what you'll get and sometimes they do send stuff that makes me go wtffffff but it's part of the fun of discovery and for $10.00 it isn't too expensive for a little bit of fun. 

As always, don't spend money on things you don't love! 

So, if you don't adore birchbox as much as I do, you know what to do. However, if you prepay for, say, a yearlong membership, I don't know what kind of  refund is possible (for specific info, I'd say contact CS). 




4 comments:

  1. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how you do keep using the Mirenesse? It's a long tube with just a little bit at the tip, and the card says to sharpen with a cosmetic sharpener, but the tube is plastic and the bottom does not twist to extend it any further.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liana!

      First of all, that is not a dumb question AT ALL! Second, I'm glad you brought this up because I've had the same issue with a Pixi Lid Last Shadow pen and I'm not sure what to do with it. As you said, the insert that came with the Mirenesse says to sharpen with a cosmetic pencil sharpener while bb's site recommends twisting the bottom. I can affirm that twisting the bottom does absolutely nothing so I'm going to have to assume that the glossy kiss we got is crafted especially as a bb sample. I'm going to go ahead and email bb to ask them, as well as experiment with a sharpener on my pencil and see what happens. I'll post bb's answer and my results as soon as I can :)

      Delete
  2. I loved the facial scrub! I have a birchbox link party going on, come link up your box to share what you got: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/06/june-2013-birchbox.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lovely Rita! ;)

      Sorry it took so long to answer (I always go off the grid for a couple of days to keep my sanity) but sounds like a party!!!

      Delete