Thursday, June 13, 2013

BeautyBar Sample Society June '13 Box Review

Beauty Bar's Sample Society is a sub that I relatively recently went back to. I had left in December after deciding that the samples were skewing too old but went back because I missed it for some reason. It was a good idea because the samples have been pretty great lately. This month's box shipped out a little late (on the 3rd of June, I believe) but I got it by UPS pretty quickly (I love that it gets sent by UPS because it makes it easier to track). Another great incentive is that you get $15 off of any $50 purchase when you buy anything (anything!) from that month's featured brands. I've taken advantage of that incentive pretty often and I love it because at least you feel like you're offsetting the cost of the monthly sub ;) 

A first look at June's Sample Society
On to the item by item review: 


Stila Cosmetics Tinted Moisturizer SPF 20 in Fair 

This is one of the few stila items that I haven't had the opportunity to try. I've slowly amassed what can only be described as a huge collection of stila lip glazes that keeps getting larger every time I see those 3 glaze sets for $12 at sephora and ulta.  Tinted moisturizer isn't really my thing because I have oily skin and because I'm pretty set for BB, CC, DD and ππ cremes (joke! lol) with all of the samples I've gotten but I'll still give this one a chance. Plus, it's pretty tiny so I'm not worried about too much being left over if I don't end up liking it. 8/10 


Stila Cosmetics Lip Glaze in Apricot

Another glaze!! I have about a zillion but who can say no to one more? I love it plus the color is exactly what I was looking for in a gloss. I love that light pink almost natural color and the shimmer is never a detractor in my book. Yes, I love lip gloss and I know that stila doesn't disappoint so this one is a major score. 10/10 


Illume Desert Tulip Tin Candle

Illume candles are not quite the most economic option in candles. They tend to cost a bit more than your average candle (I buy Jo Malone candles so who am I to say what's expensive, right?) but they also tend to smell wonderful. This tiny candle was a great surprise because it really wasn't something that I expected to get in a beauty sample subscription. The Desert Tulip candle "...fuses notes of red tulip, lily, raspberry, and musk for a most-serene (most excellent, dudes!!! yep, I just had to) experience." I'm typically a musk hater but the notes of it work for the candle and it smells just good enough to place in your bedroom or in a living room to give it a relaxing vibe. A great little addition to this month's box. 10/10 


Murad Age Reform AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser

I'm already a Murad brand fan. Their wrinkle/line products are freaking magic. Plus, their acne cleanser is great and doesn't dry out my super sensitive as much as other cleansers do. This cleanser is actually geared towards brightening dullness, enhancing clarity, and improving tone. All things I like to do. I have a pretty full cleanser roster right now (just using one would kill my skin so I alternate between stronger ones and lighter ones depending on the day and how my skin feels) but I just know I'll be adding this one to the rotation pretty soon. I'm already a fan so this is just another sample that'll get me to buy a murad product and as long as it gives me results, that's ok with me. 10/10 


Philosophy Hope in a Jar 

Yet another moisturizer!!! Philosophy is a good brand but I tend to have negative reactions to their products. I purchased their yummy smelling body washes and experienced hives and itching so I tend to stay far away from their stuff to just try to avoid a repeat of my past allergic reaction. Plus, I already use a super light moisturizer made for oilier skin so I really have no use for this sample. However, as always, my mom does (she has drier skin now that she's older) and this sample was gifted to her about as soon as I saw what it was. 7/10 

A closer and clearer look at June's sample society goodies 



Overall, I'm very happy with this month's box. I already enjoy Stila, Murad, and Illume products so it isn't really an introduction to any brands but it does show me what the brands I already like have to offer and honestly, how could I not be happy when I got another lip glaze??


Box:
Frequency:
Monthly (boxes are typically shipped out between the 1st-3rd)
Price
$15.00 (plus tax in CA, I pay 16.20)
Perks
$15 discount on any $50 purchase that includes any item from the brands featured in that month's box. 
Recommend
Yes. However, I do think that this sub is geard towards a more mature subscriber so it probably wouldn't be too exciting for younger girls. There are a lot of skin care and perfume samples involved in this sub and I know that some people hate that so you really have to decide for yourself. As I've said, try it out if you're interested but never spend money on something you don't love! 

No comments:

Post a Comment