Thursday, May 16, 2013

POPSUGAR Must Have May '13 Box Review

Today I got an awesome surprise in the mail, my may Popsugar Must Have!!! I have to say I definitely love this month. It is a kazillion times better than April and I'm actually excited about reviewing it and using everything!

The nerves!! 
So, yep this month is definitely a winner. The May must have box is definitely summery and, weirdly enough, really well suited to my taste/needs. Even the chips (more on those later) were passable and I usually hate sweet potato anything. Now, on to the item by item review:




You can barely see the tote and hat at the top but they're there in all of their awesomness

Best box in a while. I'm in LOVE.


Kooringa Giselle Mid Brim Hat in Dark Grey

This hat is perfect. I have a huge head (literally, most women's hats don't fit and I get migraines from the ones I manage to stick on) and this hat FITS!!!!!! I'm being forced to attend a wedding on a vineyard on memorial day weekend and this hat is perfect, especially since I was googling around for a good sun hat because the sunburns I get are epic bright red, peeling, and itching fun. I didn't expect to like it as much as I do but it's not only because it's a hat with apparent UV ray protection but because it actually looks trendy and current. Not like something you'd get for free at a monster truck rally or radio station giveaway ;)  11/10 


The Modern Margarita Cocktail Mixers

Disclaimer: I'm not huge on drinking. To date, I've only been drunk a couple of times in my life! However, I do occasionally like a fruity cocktail because I'm the flirtini loving type (flirtinis for everyone!!!!) This set has 5 different flavors including mango, authentic margarita, blood orange (aka YUMMMMM), strawberry, and watermelon. I'm keeping this one for next week's vineyard weekend. A nice tasty cocktail is always welcome in a stressful family reunion that I'm looking forward to about as much as I'd look forward to a root canal. 10/10 


Questions I Ask When I Want to Talk about Myself

Mindy Kaling's book is awesome. Seriously. I remember taking no more than a couple of hours to get through the whole book because it was funny and somehow breezy in a way few books are and many try to be. Actually, I like her book better than her show which I feel is to tied up in rom-com tropes and isn't as funny as her book for some reason. We didn't get the actual book in the box but a large set of cards with anecdotes and related conversation starting questions on each card. Most of it seems lifted directly from the book but they're still fun to go through and I'm looking forward to messing around with a couple of the questions and freaking people out. It's not something I would probably buy by myself (I considered it a while ago but ended up deciding against it because it just seemed like something I didn't really need) but now that I have it, I'm willing to enjoy the shit out of it. 8/10 

The Original Beautyblender and BlenderCleanser

We got a legit beautyblender and cleanser! They sell these at sephora and they're pretty pricey when you think about the fact that you're playing about $30 for a sponge and some soap. Howeverrr, I'd been on the fence about this certain object and actually put it on my shopping list but hadn't gone for the whole hog. A perfect addition to my beauty items especially since I was in the market for something new to apply my foundation with. I know it sounds kiss-assy but popsugar's items this month were weirdly prescient for my current specific needs. It's totally freaking weird but wonderful. 11/10 

Pacifica Natural Color Quench Lip Tint in Guava Berry

Ok, so this just seems like a lip balm. Of which I have many (like seriously many, too many many) but of which I always welcome more. When I actually tested it, I was struck by the tint which was sheer but nicely pink and the smell which is complete drool-worthy (guava magic). I've actually never bought or tried anything from Pacifica and this was a great introduction since I'd eyed their products skeptically due to some weird idea that the brand is cheap or something along those lines. Apparently, these lip tints are 100% vegan which is pretty great. I'm not super over the moon for this item like I am for a couple of others but it's definitely a solid addition and one that I'll probably end up using a lot. 9/10 

Charm & Chain $30 Discount

This gift card/discount is interesting. $30 is a pretty respectable amount but the jewelry website charm and chain is not quite inexpensive, to say the least. Honestly, the $30 will barely make a dent in the price of a nice piece. However, if I end up crumbling before the power of cute earrings, I will definitely make use of this discount.  Weirdly enough, every gosh darn time I read charm & chain, my brain starts playing Justin Timerlake's 'Suit & Tie' and I'm not even a fan! Oh crazy brain, what will you think of next? Coming back to the important bits, I have to mention that the fact that the discount is valid until Dec. 31st, 2013 is pretty awesome too. I might just save it for my birthday in November. 8/10 

Way Better Snacks Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips

I'm not a fan of either tortilla chips or sweet potatoes but they weren't bad (not the best either because, I don't like sweet pootatoes {typo intentional} or tortilla chips, as in I HATE them). I actually enjoyed trying them and my mom loved them but they're not something I'd eat on a regular basis or really, ever again. I was pretty happy that we didn't get chocolate AGAIN and these were a nice discovery and something I'll be buying to make my mom happy so, all in all, a hit. 7/10 


This tote isn't actually listed on the insert but it is a nice addition. It's mostly white and has hot pink sides and the 'popsugar' logo spelled out in pink on the white part of the tote. It also has black straps which seems like a weird addition but it actually works for this tote. I can't say no to a good tote (much better than plastic shopping bags, people!) and this one is actually cute enough to be added to my tote rotation. I love it in comparison to the April garment bag which just seemed like a useless addition even though it is currently housing the formal dress I'm to wear and be pissed off in at the wedding I've previously mentioned in this post. Ugh, that thing is taking over my life and I'm just a nobody in the scheme of said wedding. Back to the tote! I like it and I'll use it which qualifies it as a worthy item (for me, I can see others not liking it as much because, well, we all have different tastes) and a nice addition to this month's box. 9/10 

A closer look at the smaller items


Overall

I'm in love with this month's box and I'm giving it a big ol' 10.  I am or will be using everything and that is THE most important signifier of a good box. While some months may be misses (the notorious April box!) , months like this one keep me hooked. Hopefully, this box is a sign of good things to come. Keep up the good work, popsugar! I love that it seems like you guys took your customer's input into account and are sending out a much improved box this month. There's nothing better than getting a box full of little surprises every month and nothing better than actually liking said surprises. I have to say I feel lucky this month. There is nary a box that has been so suited to my current needs. While it's coincidental and won't be the same for everyone, I feel like I scored with this month (as in got a good box, not scored with may because, well, you can't really score with a month though you could score with a girl named May, I guess, but I don't think there are many guys named May.... Ok, weird tangent over!)


Box:
Price:
$35 (plus tax in CA, so ~$38)
Frequency:
Monthly
Perks:
Full size items and discounts. Ability to earn free boxes. 
Recommend
Yep! This box is definitely one of, if not THE, main favorite for me. I love all of my boxes but I find myself really looking forward to this box every month. I say, if you're unsure, try a month to get a feel for it. There are some good discounts to be found at retailmenot that might save you $5 on your first box (I'm not posting the codes today because they change super frequently and expire pretty quickly). But, yes, this box is currently on full-on recommend. I'm loving it like McDonald's (or is it McDowell's? Lol, a reference anyone younger than 25 is unlikely to get). 

No comments:

Post a Comment