Friday, May 31, 2013

Beauty Box 5 May Box Review + Why I was gone for soooo long

Well, bonjour!

I'm back to do some reviewing fun times ;) I was gone all of last week and before because I ended up having to go to that wedding I'd sworn I wouldn't attend. We spent a long weekend at a vineyard and I actually had a fantastic time. Totally unexpected but there it is. Also, I went out with some of my cousins (I have like a zillion) and got shit-faced for lack of a better word. Seriously, I'd never drunk that much in my life and won't again because the aftermath wasn't pretty. Plus, getting up at 8am to go get my hair/makeup done after turning in at about 5am was an exercise in stamina. I was deemed a pimp though because I got through it haha.

Now, on to what really matters, the boxes! I just got my May Beauty Box 5 box and, as it was my first, I was actually quite pleasantly surprised. My expectations for this box were a bit lower than normal because it isn't quite the most famous box out there. Plus, I feel like the market is becoming over-saturated with boxes and a lot of companies will be gone before long. Also, there are a lot of scams out there and I hate that.

Seriously ladies (and gents or laddies), make sure to google your asses off and make sure any company is legit before giving them your CC#.

I mean it! I try to only associate with the legit-est (loll it sounds cooler than legitimate) of the legit. It makes me feel a little bit better. Now, my box was a bit late but I still got it in may so that was cool. I have high hopes for the next one and I'll continue subbed for now. I'm giving all boxes a 2-3 month period for 'testing'. After that, I'll cancel or keep going if I love it.

Without flash; this is may's beauty box 5

With flash; may's beauty box 5

On to the item by item review: 

Ferro Cosmetics Mineral Eyeshadow in 'Champagne'

So.... these loose powder eye shadows are a freaking mess to use. I love the concept but the execution means a lot (I mean A LOT) of spillover and powder all over my face. The color I got (which isn't really shown in the pics) is a light champagne. According to the insert, these can also be used to highlight cheeks. I'm not super excited about this particular sample and I've never heard of 'Ferro Cosmetics' but I'll give it a go sometime. 7/10

Jean Pierre Tanning Towelettes

These are a NO GO. I hate tanning products and have super sensitive skin. I like my regular skin tone just fine so these are completely useless to me. They'll either be trashed or given away. They apparently retail 8.99 for 10 towelettes so it seems like a pretty thrifty way to tan if you're so inclined. 0/10

Model Co. Black Eyeliner

I've discovered Model Co. through various products sent to me in subscription boxes and I have to say that they've become one of my favorite brands. This is a simple enough black pencil eyeliner. The cool thing is that it has a sharpener included on the the pencil itself and it retails for $18.00 so that basically exceeds the value of the box in itself. Awesome. 9/10

Coolway Transform Styling Spray

When opening the box, I noticed a relatively large bottle and a spraying mechanism and pretty much went wtf? Well, coolway styling spray seems to help cut blowdrying time in half and claims to reduce heat styling damage. I actually sprayed it on and air dried and it made my hair softer despite the lack of styling. Plus, it smells really good. 9/10

La Fresh Deodorant Wipes

Deodorant wipes. It doesn't really seem like something you'd want in a beauty box, does it? I was pretty confused as to why these two individually packaged wipes were included. It seems like something straightforward and could be used in an emergency but just seems, I don't know, ewww-y. It just doesn't go with the glamour one wants to expect from these boxes. These aren't my favorite item but I can see why they're a product. I just don't want them in future boxes. 7/10


Overall

This box is quite a bit less 'big' than competitors like birchbox or even ipsy. I didn't love LOVE this box but it was better than expected. Plus, I did really love the model co eyeliner included and the hair styling spray. I'm going to give it another month and then make a solid decision. I'm not completely sold on the box but I'm definitely going to give it another chance to be fair.


Box
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$12.00
Perks:
There are one day specials where you can earn free items if you earn referrals. However, the time frame for earning the perks seems pretty limited. 
Recommend:
Cautiously, yes. I'm not over-wowed by what was offered in the may box but it isn't bad either. I'm going to give it another month. If you want to join, I'd recommend to do it month to month. That way, if you hate it, you can cancel immediately. 


No comments:

Post a Comment