Sunday, May 12, 2013

May Box Updates: Julep, Popsugar, Birchbox, Ipsy, Beauty Box 5, Glossybox

Here are some brief updates re: this month's boxes, most of which I haven't actually received (either because they're still traveling towards me by slowpost or because they ship out mid-month or whatever):

Julep

I got my super awesome upgrade box last week and the review is posted but a couple of days later I got 'Etta', my add-on. On one hand, the color (described as an 'art deco peridot metallic') is beautiful but on the other, the formula (at least for my bottle) is weirdly bad. I kept trying to do a manicure and the polish was gloopy and slow to dry. After about 6 retouches/re-dos I just gave up and cleaned off my nails. Typically, Julep's formulas work for me but this bottle is not the best. I'm sad because the color is so incredibly beautiful! I'm going to try again tomorrow even if it takes me the entire bottle! Actually, my repeated attempts resulted in me using up half the bottle so using up the entire thing is a distinct possibility!

Popsugar

Besides the possibility of a fancy clutch (10 people are going to get them and I will inevitably be jealous/hate those people ;D), this month heralds a return to form for one of my favorite subs. Now, I actually haven't gotten my May Popsugar Must Have but spoilers abound and they are GOOOOD. I don't like to post spoilers myself so I won't here but if you can't help it, they're quite easy to find with a google search. All I'm saying is that if you like beauty products, margaritas, and Mindy Kaling, you'll be happy with this month's box. I know I am and I haven't even gotten it yet!! Definitely one to look forward to.


Birchbox

Living on the west coast is total suckitude for us devoted birchbox subscribers. We wait and wait and are almost always the last to get our boxes. This month I've been on a no spoiler bender but I broke and checked my box page to see what I'd gotten. I have to say I'm surprised by the items but there are 6 and one is apparently full sized! You can't beat that for $10.00! I have to say I consistently enjoy birchbox and the stuff they send me so my forthcoming review should be pretty lovey dovey ;)

Ipsy

I'm a pretty new Ipsy subscriber. I subbed last month and I have to say I wasn't really wowed but for $10, I felt that it was ok. However, the are rumblings that  this month's box is one of the best of this year. Hopefully that's true because, as a new subscriber, I need to be wowed to keep hanging on. So, bring it Ipsy!!!! I know you guys can do it!!!


Glossybox

This month is glossybox's birthday aka 1 year anniversary. They've been pretty tight lipped about what they're doing to commemorate the occasion and have been pushing their special editions pretty hard but I'm excited to see what's in store. April's box wasn't the most exciting but an event like the one year anniversary should bring out some good products. If not, glossybox would be missing out on a huge chance to hold on to subscribers that might've become jaded with the ups and downs of getting great stuff one month and completely lackluster crap the next and so on. I'm crossing my fingers for a good box though!

Beauty Box 5

Beauty Box 5 is yet another new box for me. I just subbed last month and after getting my confirmation email, I haven't heard a much from them. However, after some searching, I've found that there a quite a number of people excited about may's box. Since this will be my first box ever (!!!), I'm hoping it can live up to it's street cred. One spoiler I did note (from their tumblr) was that this month's boxes will apparently contain 'jean pierre cosmetics self tan wipes'. Womp womp. I hate self tanning stuff (I got Kate Somerville tanning wipes in my Beautybar Sample Society box and quickly gave them away) and this item is sure to either be given away, stashed away, or thrown away. I'm disappointed with that particular item but still have high hopes for the rest.


I'm overall pretty excited about this month! I didn't do a section on beauty army yet because I'm in line to pick my samples on the 13th so I'll update about that particular sub when I know what I'm getting. So many subs, so little cash! What's a girl to do???

No comments:

Post a Comment