Monday, May 13, 2013

Birchbox May '13 Review

Today I got my May birchbox which was a pretty great surprise considering I used to get it super late in the month and, at that point, everyone and their momma knew about every variation of the box under the sun. While my west coast (does weird hand sign) residency status does make me fashionably late, hopefully this month I can post my review and maybe help some peeps figure out if they like May's box. Either way, I do this for the money and honeys (actually neither, as a beauty box blog isn't  really a money and dude magnet)! On to the review!


May Birchbox w/ flash

May Birchbox w/o flash. 



Above are the pics of what I assumed would be a quaint box that, to my surprise, is actually not too shabby. I can't deny I expected a couple of these to be foil packets and I'm glad to have been mistaken.


Amika 'Obliphica Nourishing Mask'

This sample is actually in a packet but it seems generously sized for at least one use. I'm a deep conditioning addict and I currently alternate between Redken, L'oreal, and Garnier Fructis for my deep conditioning needs. Due to the fact that I took the leap into ombré territory, I need all of the moisture I can get because blond ends can look really ragged really quick. I'm going to give this a chance for my next deep conditioning mask and it just might make it into my rotation. Maybe. 9/10


COOLA 'Classic Face SPF 30 Cucumber Moisturizer for Face'

This is one of the samples I was sure would be a foil packet. Fortunately it wasn't and I love the travel size that I will definitely be using because the weather has suddenly veered towards infernal here in socal. This SPF is touted as a 'mineral sunblock infused with organic antiaging (sic) ingredients' so that's a plus. The cucumber scent is a bit divisive because some people legitimately HATE it. I personally love cucumber but fake cucumber smell usually makes me want to gag. Fortunately, this specific sunblock doesn't smell that bad and is quite tolerable even with my olfactory sensitivities. 8/10


Isaac Mizrahi 'FABULOUS Isaac Mizrahi Eau de Parfum'

Perfume samples are ugh territory for me due to the aforementioned smell gag reflex sensitivity I suffer from. I was quite reticent to even sniff this 'fanciful blend of mandarin and jasmine laced with vanilla' and while it didn't make me gag, it definitely isn't for me. I ended up gifting said sample to my mom and I hope it smells different on her because this one was a major fail for me. 0/10

Marvis 'Classic Mint Toothpaste'

Birchbox, are you trying to tell me I have stank breath issues? Because I totes take offense! Except I don't haha. I've actually always wanted to try this toothpaste before jumping in and buying it. The sample is nicely sized and while it isn't an item anyone particularly expects in a beauty box, I'm totally happy with it. 10/10

Sumita 'Color Contrast Eyeliner'

I wasn't really excited about this sample because I wear eyeliner as frequently as popes wear it so I thought, complete bust. Howeverrrr, I swatched it on my hand and the texture and color was seriously something else. I think I might actually have to try to line my eyes just to wear this. At $11 for a full size, this isn't an expensive buy and I think Birchbox should've maybe thrown a full size in but overall, I'm actually impressed with the way this liner glided on. I'm not huge on eyeliner so don't take my word  above all else but I'm guessing it's a pretty good one. 9/10

Birchbox Finds Pilot Pen

There was a pen included. A pen. Not something I would really expect but I have to admit, it's pretty. My girliness got the best of me and a pink and white pen with pink ink is apparently a weakness. I kinda like pink and I think I have to admit it. I know, I know, gender constructs, etc. but I'm just saying I like the pen. Hopefully, that doesn't make me less of a feminist but yeah, I like it. Although, I have to admit it's kind of a weird ass thing to include but screw it, I'm always in need of more pens. 9/10


Overall

I'm pretty satisfied with my may box. I'm not too hard to please but as long as tanning products aren't included, I'm up for almost anything. That isn't to say I enjoyed getting yet another fragrance sample (low point of the box) but I really like everything else (even the pen!) Yep, birchbox will survive another month in my personal subscription hunger games. A solid performer with a surprising variety for ten bucks. I forgot to mention, the may box is actually my one year anniversary with them. I signed up last year for the 'Gossip Girl' box (oh god I miss that show, especially back when it was good) box and never looked back.


Box:
Price:
$10.00
Frequency:
Monthly
Perks
10 points for every box item reviewed. 100pts = $10. There isn't a maximum and you can spend your credit on anything. It is magical. 
Recommend
Yep. It's been a year and I had a couple of months where I had doubts but this box is a solid performer. It actually meets and sometimes exceeds expectations on a regular basis. Plus, it's only $10 total. 


No comments:

Post a Comment