Friday, October 25, 2013

Julep October '13 Review (finally!!!)

Hey hey hey!! 

My Julep Maven box was super late this month and I got it on the 21st, the freaking 21st! This was due to some computer stuff but still, I was getting very very antsy to get my nail polishes. I went for 'it girl' and 3 polish add-ons so it was all polish for me this month. As many of you know, the selection window for November started on the 20th and ends on the 24th. I've already chosen my stuff and I actually went for the opposite and got 'modern beauty' because it has lip products (my addiction) and added on the prettiest autumnal sparkly nail polish named….. Autumn. Lol. Nevertheless, I'm quite satisfied with my Julep  sub right now and I'm even thinking of going back and getting a couple more add-ons because why not? It's for my bday!! I count basically 3-4 weeks before my bday as my bday season so yep, I even start buying myself presents and I've got a little stash already which is good because no one knows what to give me and honestly, I only get gifts from maybe my parents and brother so I try celebrate myself as much as possible! 

Left to right: Missy, Ciara, Kendra, Cleopatra, Casper, Beatrix

W/ flash. The left set is the October 'it girl' and the right set includes the add-ons.

Another look at the colors and candy corn! 


Julep Color Treat in 'Missy'

Substantial shimmery silver. Thick base, no see through with one coat. Great texture and formula (better than most standard polishes). However, you do have to be careful because texture can start to look streaky if not applied carefully on the sides. The website describes it as a titanium metallic which really describes it perfectly. This is probably my favorite metallic in a long time. 11/10 



Julep Color Treat in 'Ciara

A shimmery purplish base with a blue/purple color shift. It has teal micro glitter that lends the overall color a great shift in light. It's described as a 'vampy magenta with teal micro glitter' and is super shimmery to boot. This is a color that I would buy even if it weren't offered in the box (I almost did when I was browsing around and didn't remember that it was part of the 'it girl' set!!) and I love the way it looks in different lights. Again, the formula is pretty good and doesn't suffer from thickness and that jelly-ish situation that happens in most glitter polishes. 10/10 



Julep Color Treat in Kendra 

Kendra is a surprising color. At first look, it looks like a drab sort of olive green color. However, Kendra, which is described by julep as an 'army green frost' looks way better on than in the bottle. It has a subtle gold shimmer that makes it look loads better than it would if it were a simple army green. It isn't my favorite color but it's good to see that even my least wanted color is actually nowhere near as bad as I initially assumed. 8/10 



Julep Color Treat in Beatrix 

Now this is my jam. Glitter? Yes! Black and gold? Yes!!! Some peeps have been complaining about the texture but since these types of polishes tend to be thick (c'mon glitter isn't the same as plain lacquer!!), it's all about the application. I try to distribute it evenly and typically do a topcoat to seal it and create a smoother surface. 3 coats of it and no topcoat is just the ticket to peel-off city (that's right, peel off not chip!) so we must be have a system for these types of things! Also the name is awesome and witchy (halloween!!!). 11/10 


Julep Color Treat in Cleopatra 

Black nail polish for October? You don't say! Since I tend to slip back to my goth (ish never full on white face black lips but a lot of black clothing!) roots during the month of October, a great new black nail polish is essential. This particular polish has a latex finish (no actual latex) and was one of the smoothest polishes I've applied from Julep. Also, the name, same as the polish before this one, is amazing. Especially since I've already got my Cleopatra costume ready for Halloween, which is less than a week away!!!!!! 11/10



Julep Color Treat in Casper 


Casper is a "glow in the dark shimmer" and can be worn alone or one top of another color. I chose to try it one alone and did two coats. I got a nice white shimmer (a bit sheer but not too sheer) that looked cute during the day but was even better at night because it really does glow in the dark!!!!! I'd read some other reviews that stated that the glow in the dark aspect was oversold and that the glowing was really faint but I guess I was lucky or got a special batch because my nails noticeably glowed in the dark. Actually, I even had a little scare because I'd forgotten I was wearing glow in the dark polish! Again, the name given to the color is marvelous. 11/10 




Overall, I loved this box. I was very excited about the Halloween themed add-ons and the 'it girl' colors turned out to be better looking and more wearable than I'd thought. So, for me, this month was a complete score. It doesn't happen every month but when I get a box I thoroughly like, I'm happy to report it. 

Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$19.99 (add-on prices vary and are added on to the $19.99 base price) 
Perks
Ability to earn free boxes, ability to use earned jules to pay for add-ons, etc.
Recommend? 
Yes. I clearly loved this month's themes and Julep has made me a happy Leslie once again. Their CS is fantastic (especially if you call in because emails may take a while to get a response) and their variety of offered items gets better and more varied (to be redundant) every month. This used to be just a nail polish only sub but now with the advent of the 'modern beauty' profile, you can get other types of beauty items every month without having to get polish at all. I'd say try a month  if you're really interested. You can always (and should!) cancel if you're not in completely in love.

As always, don't spend your hard earned cash on something you're not 100% in love with!

No comments:

Post a Comment