Saturday, October 26, 2013

Glossybox October '13 Box Review


Well hellooooo there!!

I think this glossybox review is the last in my looooong backlog of reviews that I had to post this week. Whew! So, this month's box was a combination of "ohhh yeahhhh" and "the fuuuck?" because it included an awesome full size item that is worth more than what the box costs (doing the quite simple math: full size value of Tarte Mascara $23 (+tax) by itself, glossybox value: the mascara plus another 3 samples at $21. Is that a good deal? I think so. I'm not a penny pincher by any means (seriously, I'm pretty much called a shopaholic daily but it isn't 12 step bad, just need a really good job to buy myself everything I want bad) so I don't typically put much store into the prices, I tend to care more about liking the items I get. For this month, I did like the mascara (though I didn't get to keep it, mom strikes again) but the other items weren't as...errm... passion inducing. So, not a home run but the full size mascara unquestionably added some good will points and I'm set to get the November box too.

All of this month's good stuff. 



Tarte 'Lights, Camera, Flash' Mascara in Black

Full sized and gold packaging (the mascara itself is in a gold case too) is the way to my heart. I love getting nice surprises like this one and this was definitely the best part of this month's box. It even comes with a brush replacement! I'm using YSL Babydoll right now but I might go for this mascara in the future. I like the way it looks, I guarantee it ;) 11/10


Fresh "Lotus Youth Preserve" Face Cream

This is also a great sample because it is way larger than any other samples for this specific cream that I've come into contact with. Usually I get a little foil packet with no more than one use but this little jar (yes, a jar!) has substantially more than that. Alas, though I want to ignore the fact that everyone ages, it's good to get something like this so I can actually remember to put on some cream in the futile attempt to stave off any signs of aging (I've already got smile lines.... why God whyyyyyyy?). Also, it smells good and isn't oily/doesn't leave a nasty residue. 11/10



Bulgari Eau Parfumee Au The Vert Sample (mini bottle)

Ah, yet another perfume sample. While I do have a significant weakness for mini bottles and I recently spent 250 points at sephora to get a mini Miss Dior bottle (so cute!!!),  I have to actually like the scent for me to be able to keep it around. Regrettably, the first sniff of this perfume (purported to be a green sort of scent, which I typically love, given the name) gave me a bit of a headache/nausea combo and I quickly gave it away. I'm super sensitive to this sort of stuff and there isn't a set pattern, any strong scent can set it off so my opinion/reaction shouldn't be taken as the word on this perfume. Everyone has different scent preferences! One thing that always irks me is that this box repeatedly sends Bulgari products and I haven't liked a single one. I wonder if it's due to the similarity of the scents they send out... 6/10

Sesha Renu Exfoliating Gel

Another cleanser! I can't even. (If you don't know why, please read my other reviews this month.) 6/10


Balance Me LE Shine On Tinted Lip Gloss in 'Super Soft Beige'

I love lip gloss, I really do. I even like neutral colors like this one. But I also like full products. Case in point, the following picture:



As one can see, the balm isn't full of product (look at the image on the paper for comparison). There's about a third of the bottle missing and as I'm not very trusting by nature, I've decided to not touch it at all in case it has been tampered with. If the bottle was full, I'd be quite happy with it. As such, grrrrrrr.
0/10 (for the one I got) 10/10 (If I'd gotten a full gloss)


Overall, another solid box (with the exception of the gloss because I'm fuming about that) but nothing to super excited about (I was pretty excited initially since it was a collab with a beauty blog but the only difference was the dark gray box). I'm going to keep if until next month but if the box isn't right for me, it might be time to consider canceling because as I always say, don't pay for what you don't love and that applies to me too (to get a cool box like in August will stop me from canceling). A little positive note: the shipping was relative quick and worry free this month. Their schedule is pretty much settled at sending out the box late mid-month so no bitching about that.


 Box
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$21.00
Perks:
Ability to earn 'glossydots' by doing surveys reviewing the items you get every month. 1000 glossydots= 1 free box. 
Recommend
With reservations. If you do choose to get on the Glossybox roller coaster, you should expect for shipping to be mid to late month. Nevertheless, the products do tend to be a good mix of high-end samples with larger than usual sizes (think deluxe and travel instead of foil packets) and this month had a fantastic full sized item. I'm still a glossybox subscriber (not so happy but maybe happier once I have more time to try out the products) but you must (!) weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. Also, you can always try a month and cancel later. There are a few codes out there pretty frequently for at least a 15% discount or an extra gift with your first box. 

WINK might get you a free eyeliner so feel free to try it ;) 


As always, don't spend your hard earned cash on something you don't love!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment