Friday, October 25, 2013

Cult Cosmetics = Blackbox October 2013 Box Review


Hi!! 


A couple of weeks ago, I decided to finally give Cult Cosmetics' blackbox a chance. Honestly, I'm pretty glad I did because after I got my intro box today, I'm already looking forward to next month. While I also have my julep sub (which was great this October and whose November box is already picked and perfect for my bday month!) There's no harm in adding another nail polish sub (or so I keep telling myself). I'm quite happy with the colors and the formula but the shipping kind of blows considering it took like 10 days to get from LA to me which takes a little bit more than 1 hour driving! As many of you might expect, yes, my box seems to have been sent through slowpost. Aside from that tiny bit of suck, I really like this box and am definitely keeping it at least through next month so you can expect another review if you really want to make up your minds. Now on to the review!




From left to right: Point Dume, Joshua Tree, WeHo, Botanical Base 



Cult Cosmetics Lacquer in 'Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree like the very arid and dusty place it's named after is a beige/nude cream and is freaking perfect for job interviews (yep, I'm going through that whole thing right now and yes, it majorly blows). It's a great nude and looks fashionable yet mature (like professional mature not geriatric mature) plus it has been all over the blogs and mags in the fall and spring runway shows so I'm quite smitten with this color. 11/10 



Cult Cosmetics Lacquer in 'WeHo

WeHo is all about the sparkles. The sparkles! It's touted as a graffiti nail art effect and has different sized (from very small shimmer specks to big noticeable individual glitter specks) in black, white, and silver glitter, plus those little strips I completely forget the name of suspended in a clear base. It goes on relatively smoothly but you have to stipple it a bit to get an even glitter distribution. This is meant to be a topcoat over another color sort of thing and even though I said it's a topcoat, if you want smooth nails, do a real topcoat over this one to seal the glitter. I actually tried it over julep's Missy (a shimmery and very saturated silver) and it looks awesome. This is one of the items I was most excited about and fortunately it turned out to be as good as I hoped it would be. 11/10 



Cult Cosmetics Lacquer in Point 'Dume

Point Dume is a deep indigo and almost navy blue. As the website touts, one coat is enough to give great color and there are no sheer spots. I like the fact that it's a straightforward deep blue and I tend to love that color so this is a great addition to my ever-growing polish collection. It actually looks incredibly similar (color-wise) to Julep's Char (which I got in the October popsugar must have box) and that's fantastic considering I didn't get to keep Char. Before I forget, the formula is great and not tacky and the colors are 5-free. 10/10 



Cult Cosmetics Botanical Base Coat 

The botanical base coat was pictured as completely sheer in the email I got but the bottle I received today is actually a sheer green. Apparently, there are some good plants added in to condition nails (thus the 'botanical' name) and I'm looking forward to trying it after I get tired of the NCLA Halloween spiderweb nail wraps that I'm currently wearing and loving (I'd been looking that the NCLA website for a while but I finally bit the bullet and ordered them; I'm glad I did because they're great and super easy to put on. I'm totally getting the 'Clueless' (yes, like the movie!!!!!) sets they have next. 11/10 


Note: This isn't the same as the other Cult company called Cult nails (the one with the cylindrical bottle and cursive type branding) because this box is sent out by Cult cosmetics. I was initially confused and had to do some googling to get the brands straight. Both are awesome, btw and I recommend trying both of them out along with Cirque (omg Cirque has the prettiest colors and names and the new Alchemy collection is omg so pretty).

A shiny shiny flash pic so you can see the bottles clearly.


Overall, the formula goes on well and is 5-free. The colors are trendy and I actually love this month's selection (neutrals and deeper colors are my faves) plus they promise some sort of nail art item every month. This month was my first and I was able to get it for $14.99 instead of the regular $19.99 plus $4.99 shipping (so the total is $24.99). The price was great this month and I'm staying on for another month because I really liked the colors and texture of the polish but the $4.99 shipping fee is balls when they're an hour or so away from me and they clearly use the cheapest delivery method (aka it took 10 days!!! 10 days!!!!!!!). So, not everything is peachy keen but overall, I feel like the box was worth the wait. We'll see how I feel next month! 


Box:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$24.99/month (but you can get the first month for $14.99 right now) 
Perks
At least one nail art item included every month. Formula is 5-free. 
Recommend? 
With reservations. This is only my first month and while I loved the items, I think I have to wait another month to really see how they work and if the nail polish magic strikes twice. While I'm definitely on board for November, I won't go so far as unequivocally recommending the sub without getting a real feel for it. However, I do like it a lot. 

2 comments:

  1. I've been debating getting this box. It looks like you got some great colours. I think I'll wait a month or two more, just to get a better idea of their selection, but this month looks good, other than the shipping issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's a great idea! I got it on a whim and I do like it but I'm not sure if it's a long-term thing until I get a feel for it next month. However, this month was pretty good and if next month equals it, I might need to add it to my box budget ;)

      Delete