Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Glossybox September '13 Review

Hey y'all! (I've decided to be southern for the remainder of this post.... ;))


Some notes before we get to the review, I've decided to cancel my BeautyBar Sample Society membership. Why? Well, last month's all skincare (aka wrinkle stuff) was a major contributor to my decision. That and I'm currently going through some even harsher (than before) economic times. I've got to cut down somewhere and that's the box I can live without. It sucks but I wasn't even excited about reviewing it the last couple of months so I'm ok with my decision for now.

Also, I'm still (STILL!) waiting for my popsugar must have to be delivered. Apparently, according to the last update by fedex, it was in LA on monday so greattt. This I blame completely on the crappy delivery. However, I'm still über excited about the box. I'm desperate to get it and desperate to review it because it is going to be awesome.

Ok, so back to the glossybox review:

I was pretty surprised by this month's contents, to be honest. A lot of full sizes and the perfume sample (while I don't love the scent... at all) is huge and like rollerball size but with a spray (ooooh that reminds me I need the new Florabotanica rollerball from sephora).

Hmmmm...

Pretty good for $20 bucks.

On to the items:


BCBGMAXAZRIA Bon Genre eau de Parfum

Billed as seductive and mysterious. I already reviewed a smaller (wayyyyy smaller) sample of the same scent for this month's birchbox. I still don't love the scent but it isn't quite as bad as I thought. I still wouldn't buy it though. 6/10

Be a Bombshell Eyeliner Pen in Onyx

Another eyeliner! However, I like this one because it reminds me of Ardency Inn's 'Punker' eyeliner marker which I've wanted to try but was reticent to buy because I have too many eyeliners and I barely (if ever) use them. The line is very black (which I like) and the marker is easy to handle. This may push me toward buying that Ardency Inn eyeliner. 9/10

Emite Makeup Eyelash Curler

According to the insert, this eyelash curler retails at $30.50 so that's a pretty good deal in itself. I don't have a really good eyelash curler and I'm pretty happy to have gotten one. I especially like that it comes with little replacement rubber thingies (what is their name?!). This is defo one of my favorites in the box. 10/10

Nioxin Diamax Treatment

A hair thickening treatment!! As I'm cursed with fine hair that goes flat despite what-fucking-ever I put in my hair, I have hope (a tiny slice not too much) that this stuff will actually work). It's also billed as strengthening hair against breakage so that's great. I'm pretty excited to try this stuff and make a final decision. For now, I really hope that it'll help my flat hair get some pretty pretty volume. 11/10

Oceane Makeup Remover Pen

A pretty good companion to the eyeliner pen. I'll be trying this one out after I test the eyeliner but I'm also considering keeping it in my purse for eyeshadow/liner fuckups. Hopefully it'll work like one of those Tide stain remover pens but for makeup! The brand is completely unknown to me but it doesn't matter much as long as the pen actually works. We'll see.... 8/10


A closer look at the Eyeliner Marker

A closer look at the eyelash curler


Overall, this is a solid box. I was pretty surprised by the variety of the contents and I'm actually really happy about what I got. I know that the shipping is ass but I'm getting used to their schedule. They charge early in the month (like the 5th) and ship around the 20th. It has been like that for a while so I'm guessing that it's their standard schedule. I got it on the 24th so that's still September, at least. The combined retail value was much higher than the box price and the personal value (for me) also exceeds the box price. 9.5/10


Box
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$21.00
Perks:
Ability to earn 'glossydots' by doing surveys reviewing the items you get every month. 1000 glossydots= 1 free box. 
Recommend
With reservations. If you do choose to get on the Glossybox roller coaster, you should expect for shipping and delivery to be later in the month (I got the September box on the 24th). Nevertheless, the products do tend to be a good mix of high-end samples with larger than usual sizes (think deluxe and travel instead of foil packets) and this month again had mostly full sized items. I'm still a glossybox subscriber (and happy..... for now) but you must (!) weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. Also, you can always try a month and cancel later. There are a few codes out there pretty frequently for at least a 15% discount or an extra gift with your first box. 

WINK might get you a free eyeliner so feel free to try it ;) 


As always, don't spend your hard earned cash on something you don't love!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment