Friday, September 20, 2013

Birchbox September '13 Box Review


Bonjour Peeps!!!


My beloved birchbox finally got to me yesterday but I was super busy and couldn't find  the time to sit down and write about the box. Nevertheless, I've finally got enough time to sit down, get comfy, turn on some sexy music, light a few candles, and get downnnn..... with my review.

As I mentioned before, I wasn't super excited about my September birchbox when I saw the contents of the box online. The samples looked super small and not too exciting. However, once I actually got the box and looked at the samples, I can say I was pleasantly surprised. Again, it isn't the best box I've ever gotten but it is consistently good and has higher end brands (which I love). Basically, birchbox is a freakin' necessity for me and it's definitely on the can't miss list of subs which has actually gotten progressively smaller as I've learned to cut down and only pay for the subs I really enjoy. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this month's box and I look forward to October. Now, if someone could just tell the subs to do a Halloween theme!!! Come on!!! It'll be awesome, do it subs!!!

By the way, tomorrow is the first selection day for the October Julep Maven box and I'm very much hoping that there'll be a Halloween theme like last year. Their preview email only showed a Kajal eyeliner (ugh more eyeliner) and that is NOT on my want list. Also, as many of you know, popsugar is taking a long ass time with shipping this month but I have to say (MILD SORT OF SPOILER ALERT)

that I love the box!!! So very, very much!!! Holy shit, "I can't wait for mine to be delivered" love it. I also know that one of the items in the box was released on September 10th and I'm guessing that might have to do with the late shipping this month. I've usually got my box by the 10th of the month so this has been a loooong wait especially after seeing what's inside. I know everybody has different preferences but I love the items in the box and I personally think it's wayyyy better than the August box though y'all are free to disagree :)

Ok, now back to why we're here:


Ooooh, what might be inside? Well, you can read the card for starters!


I am not loving the envelope print. I actually already trashed it. 


Hmmm.....

A better look at all the items.
BCBGMAXAZRIA Bon Genre Perfume Sample

Let's start off with this sample. It sucks for me. Plain and simple. I hate hate hate getting perfume samples because I know what perfumes I like and I know that a lot of scents make me super nauseous. This scent doesn't actually make me want to puke immediately but I honestly wouldn't buy a BCBG perfume. It's feels like the perfume equivalent of JC Penney or something. Like I could see it sold at Target or Walmart for some reason. Pass! 0/10 

Eyeko 'Black Magic' Mascara

In my ipsy review, I whined about having way too many mascaras but I actually really like this one. First of all, I have a weakness for eyeko products. I love their marker eyeliners (the two I own are eyeko) and I love the name 'black magic' plus I liked how it looks on my eyelashes. Finally, the sample is way bigger than I expected. I expected an itty bitty tiny little thing but I got what must be a deluxe size at least because it is a pretty great size. I feel so fickle for bitching about mascara in my other review and then loving this one but, apparently, that's just how I roll. 10/10 


Grand Central Beauty S.M.A.R.T. Skin Perfecting Polisher

Now this sample is über tiny. It's itty bitty and I'm guessing good for one use. It's a face 'multitasker' and requires no rinsing (a plus) but I'm not super clear on what it actually does. I haven't tried it yet but from what I've read it isn't too bad. The only downside really is the sample size. I feel like they could've made a sample about twice the size I got and it wouldn't have been too bad for business. 7/10 

RUFFIAN Nail Lacquer in 'Delirium'

I wasn't too excited for nail polish but again, I'm fickle. I like the brand, I like the name 'delirium', and I love the purple color. I even like the packaging. This is definitely something I was happy to see in the box. The formula isn't mega fantastic but it's good and it looks pretty on my dresser which is unfortunately something that actually matters to me (oh god, I'm so shallow when it comes to this stuff). 11/10 

Serge Normant Meta Luxe Hair Spray

I actually bought a sample size Serge Normant shampoo from birchbox a couple of weeks ago so this was also a welcome sample. I'm addicted to hair products and I already like the brand. The sample size is pretty good (enough for more than a couple of uses) and it doesn't smell disgusting like a lot of hair sprays tend to smell. 10/10 


Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with this month's birchbox. It didn't blow me away immediately but I have to admit that I did like it a lot more than ipsy this month. I feel like birchbox consistently sends me more stuff that I tend to like while ipsy does send a lot of full sizes and some cute stuff but a lot of cheaper stuff that I end up throwing away too. I know a lot of people (holy crap just look at their fb pages) pit one against the other but I'd say they've got different advantages and both are worth the $10 dollars they charge (if you like this sort of stuff because the worth has to be personal and economic). 


Box
:
Frequency:
Monthly
Price:
$10.00
Perks:
Every $1 spent, equals 1 point, plus you get 10 pts for every item in your box that you review. 100pts= $10.00 with no accumulation limit (so you could have 600 pts aka a $60.00 credit/discount)
Recommend
Yes! Although I didn't love every item this month, the ones I did like are more than enough to keep me happy. I love the point system, the CS,  and especially the brands they send out, so I'm still a loyal birchbox fan. 

As always, don't spend cash on anything you don't love! 


No comments:

Post a Comment